New Chicks from Mt Healthy Hatchery

EChicky

Songster
Jun 14, 2023
So, we recently ordered 3 new chicks from Mt Healthy. They are buff Orpington and should arrive by the 29th. Previously we had ordered chickens from a local farm, so have never received any that were shipped to us. Is there anything we should do when they arrive? Like to help calm them down? Also when can we start to hold them?

i usually give mine an hour to calm but nothing you need to do aside from the basic food, water and warmth. ive started to hold mine right after. even taking them out of the box and holding them then

Okay. Also with chicks this young do you think I should use a heat lamp or eco glo brooder?

Okay. Also with chicks this young do you think I should use a heat lamp or eco glo brooder?
either or really. i tend to use a heat lamp during the summer/fall and the other during winter spring as our summer/ fall are god awful hot and sometimes our winter/spring can get kinda cold

either or really. i tend to use a heat lamp during the summer/fall and the other during winter spring as our summer/ fall are god awful hot and sometimes our winter/spring can get kinda cold
Ok. Thanks for your help 😊

I use a brooder plate in the summer & indoors in the winter. I just got my Mt Healthy chicks yesterday! I would plug in your heat plate the day they are supposed to hatch. Mine shipped at 11:45 the night before their hatch date and were at the post office at 1pm the next day! Called my son to plug it in and get food and water ready, so when I got out of work and grabbed the chicks, the plate would be warmed up. They were lively and friendly.

I let them be for about an hour to warm up and rest, then we took them out for a few minutes to get acquainted to us. Will do that a few times a day for short periods to start. The warmer it is, the longer they can be out of their heat source. You’ll love Orpingtons, they are super friendly.

I use a brooder plate in the summer & indoors in the winter. I just got my Mt Healthy chicks yesterday! I would plug in your heat plate the day they are supposed to hatch. Mine shipped at 11:45 the night before their hatch date and were at the post office at 1pm the next day! Called my son to plug it in and get food and water ready, so when I got out of work and grabbed the chicks, the plate would be warmed up. They were lively and friendly.

I let them be for about an hour to warm up and rest, then we took them out for a few minutes to get acquainted to us. Will do that a few times a day for short periods to start. The warmer it is, the longer they can be out of their heat source. You’ll love Orpingtons, they are super friendly.
Oh, and they usually send an extra, so don’t be surprised if you end up with 4 chicks!

I got mine from Mt Healthy. They arrived the same day they were supposed to be shipped and I didn’t get a shipping notice, the post office just called me.

They were and are super healthy. I gave them a bit of electrolytes/vitamins at first, but took them away by the next morning because they were doing so well. They’ve done great with the brooder plate.

I got my email that they were shipping from Mt Healthy on a Sunday night. I got the call from the Post Office at 6am the next morning.

1 extra chick (which might be a cockerel... I ordered all pullets). All were healthy and lively.

Thanks 😁I'm super excited!! Congratulations on your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom