New crazy chicken lady

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by animalyodelers, Oct 21, 2018.

1. animalyodelers

animalyodelers Songster

Oct 21, 2018
    Olympia, WA, USA
    Hello!

I just became a crazy chicken lady (to be fair, I was already crazy) and learned firsthand that chicken math is REAL.

I am married with 3 wonderful daughters ages 11, 9 and 3. My husband has been putting up with my wild ideas for over 15 years so getting chickens was just another "roll with it" moment for him.

We live in a suburban neighborhood in Western Washington state. At the moment our nights are 30-40 degrees and days are unseasonably warm at around 55 with a high of 70 for about an hour each day. I said, "let's get pullets now, we can get winter laying breeds so we have eggs sooner."

A week later, I had built a coop and run out of an old playhouse, farm fencing and hardware cloth, and $20 of PVC pipe from OfferUp.

We raided our (tiny) savings to buy 7 coop ready chickens. We came home with 9 chickens 6-7 weeks old and still accustomed to a heat lamp at night.

At this moment they are in my dog's kennel near a wall heater. I am in way over my head!

Let me introduce the flock:
    2 Barred Rock- Pecky (earned name) and Obama (get it, Barred-Rock Obama?)
    3 EEs- Waddles, Nugget, and Sugar
    1 Orpington- Chicoletta
    1 Gold Laced Wyandotte- Golden Gertie
    1 Silver Laced Wyandotte- Zebra
    1 Light Brahma- HENwig (like Hedwig the owl from Harry Potter)

Crossing my fingers that I do not regret this decision- which was made with a lot of excitement and optimism and not much common freaking sense.

Really excited to meet you all though! Especially others who are as impulsive and irrational as I seem to be :wee

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. Shadrach

Shadrach Crowing

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC animalyodelers
    Picking names....I've run out of ideas.:hmm

3. animalyodelers

animalyodelers Songster

Oct 21, 2018
    Olympia, WA, USA
    It is harder than it sounds! Luckily my kids named most of ours. But everyone agreed on Pecky ;)

4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Enabler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
    What a fun start... We don't think you're crazy, in our circles you're quite normal:lau

5. animalyodelers

animalyodelers Songster

Oct 21, 2018
    Olympia, WA, USA
    I am so glad to hear that! I've found my people!! :ya

6. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Crossing the Road

Jul 29, 2017
    California
  7. adrikeen

adrikeen Whooo let the chicks ooout? Peep...peep...peep

Sep 10, 2012
    Newark Delaware
    [​IMG]
    Welcome!!! Crazy Chicken Ladies are always welcome around here!!! You will fit right in! Love the peeps! You will not regret your decision!!!

8. animalyodelers

animalyodelers Songster

Oct 21, 2018
    Olympia, WA, USA
    Thank you!

9. animalyodelers

animalyodelers Songster

Oct 21, 2018
    Olympia, WA, USA
    Thank you!!

10. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    3708F4CC-58DC-44D3-93C3-B8464A4E7620.png Not crazy. Great choices! You can do it and if have kids there is free labor especially while the chicks are young. Then they will love chickens when they are older. Wait till you have eggs and realize it was all worth it. Check out the Learning Center and ask questions if have them. We are a friendly flock here to help!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: