animalyodelers

Songster
Oct 21, 2018
Olympia, WA, USA
Hello!

I just became a crazy chicken lady (to be fair, I was already crazy) and learned firsthand that chicken math is REAL.

I am married with 3 wonderful daughters ages 11, 9 and 3. My husband has been putting up with my wild ideas for over 15 years so getting chickens was just another "roll with it" moment for him.

We live in a suburban neighborhood in Western Washington state. At the moment our nights are 30-40 degrees and days are unseasonably warm at around 55 with a high of 70 for about an hour each day. I said, "let's get pullets now, we can get winter laying breeds so we have eggs sooner."

A week later, I had built a coop and run out of an old playhouse, farm fencing and hardware cloth, and $20 of PVC pipe from OfferUp.

We raided our (tiny) savings to buy 7 coop ready chickens. We came home with 9 chickens 6-7 weeks old and still accustomed to a heat lamp at night.

At this moment they are in my dog's kennel near a wall heater. I am in way over my head!

Let me introduce the flock:
2 Barred Rock- Pecky (earned name) and Obama (get it, Barred-Rock Obama?)
3 EEs- Waddles, Nugget, and Sugar
1 Orpington- Chicoletta
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte- Golden Gertie
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte- Zebra
1 Light Brahma- HENwig (like Hedwig the owl from Harry Potter)

Crossing my fingers that I do not regret this decision- which was made with a lot of excitement and optimism and not much common freaking sense.

Really excited to meet you all though! Especially others who are as impulsive and irrational as I seem to be :wee

Attachments

• 20181020_114735.jpg
    20181020_114735.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hello!

I just became a crazy chicken lady (to be fair, I was already crazy) and learned firsthand that chicken math is REAL.

I am married with 3 wonderful daughters ages 11, 9 and 3. My husband has been putting up with ny wild ideas for over 15 years so getting chickens was just another "roll with it" moment for him.

We live in a suburban neighborhood in Western Washington state. At the moment our nights are 30-40 degrees and days are unseasonably warm at around 55 with a high of 70 for about an hour each day. I said, "let's get pullets now, we can get winter laying breeds so we have eggs sooner."

A week later, I had built a coop and run out of an old playhouse, farm fencing and hardware cloth, and $20 of PVC pipe from OfferUp.

We raided our (tiny) savings to buy 7 coop ready chickens. We came home with 9 chickens 6-7 weeks old and still accustomed to a heat lamp at night.

At this moment they are in my dog's kennel in near a wall heater . I am in way over my head!

Let me introduce the flock:
2 Barred Rock- Pecky (earned name) and Obama (get it, Barred-Rock Obama?)
3 EEs- Waddles, Nugget, and Sugar
1 Orpington- Chicoletta
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte- Golden Gertie
1 Silver Laced Wyandotte- Zebra
1 Light Brahma- HENwig (like Hedwig the owl from Harry Potter)

Crossing my fingers that I do not regret this decision- which was made with a lot of excitement and optimism and not much common freaking sense.

Really excited to meet you all though! Especially others who are as impulsive and irrational as I seem to be
Welcome to BYC animalyodelers
Picking names....I've run out of ideas.:hmm

3708F4CC-58DC-44D3-93C3-B8464A4E7620.png
Not crazy. Great choices! You can do it and if have kids there is free labor especially while the chicks are young. Then they will love chickens when they are older. Wait till you have eggs and realize it was all worth it. Check out the Learning Center and ask questions if have them. We are a friendly flock here to help!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Back
Top Bottom