New hen not laying!!!!

rustychick2000

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
My beautiful bantam hen that I purchased with a rooster at a swap meet last weekend hasn't layed. As soon as I got her she jumped on some eggs but got up and layed no egg.she has a rooster and I have seen them mate alot. I put them in their own coop. She is eating laying crumbles. I have three nests in there and I put eggs in each one so she is more comfortable with them. She has not touched the nests. She looks young and so does he. He has little spurs and she looks the same age. I don't know what to do. I just want her to lay. I was hoping to have her lay and hopefully get her broody but so far no luck.

I also purchased some cornish bantams. I have 4 hens and a rooster. They have layed a few eggs and some were bloody. The hen that layed the bloody eggs had a prolapsed vent yesterday but I think I got her taken care of. They pretty much ed stopped laying these past couple days. They look old but I was hoping to get some eggs to hatch in my incubator and sell the parents so I can have some new young ones.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and please help. I can try to post pics but idk if it will work.

Just wanted to thank you all so much for all the help. The past three posts I've posted I have had no help and now I'm starting to lose hope in this site when it comes to getting help.

Howdy rustychick2000

Please do not lose hope in this site; I have had posts that have not been answered but I still love this site and it is a mine of information.

Sometimes lots of people may read your posts but do not answer because they do not know the answer.

Sometimes there can be many answers to a question and people do not reply because they are not sure if their response would be the right one.

I am careful about how and when I reply to a post because I would hate to send a person down the wrong path.

For example, with your little bantam hen, I could just say that the move has stressed her out a little and she will start laying soon, or I could say that she is maybe still too young but that could be wrong and she may have some other issue.

Blood on the eggs can be common for hens new to laying and hens returning to laying from a break, for example; moulting, broodiness etc but then blood on eggs can also be a sign of something not so good going on internally.

Again, telling you that it is nothing to worry about could give you a false sense of security. But jumping to a conclusion that she is not well, when in fact she is fine, will cause you unwarranted stress.

For these times, when answers to questions are not forthcoming, I find searching the site for instances of the same or similar issues very helpful.

Thanks. Sorry I was just stressed and I kind of overreacted
1f610.png

Tell me about it. Honestly I know she isn't too young to lay. She definitely doesn't act stressed out. She just acts like everyone of the chickens so idk

Just wanted to thank you all so much for all the help. The past three posts I've posted I have had no help and now I'm starting to lose hope in this site when it comes to getting help.

You posted the first post an hour before posting this - unfortunately, with a forum the size of BYC it can take some time for posts to be seen and responded to. If you feel your posts have been missed it can be helpful to "bump" them as many folks use the "new posts" feature and, because of the high traffic volume, posts can shift to page 2, 3 or beyond within an hour of having been posted - making them easier to be missed.

To your concern - was the bird reported to be actively laying when you purchased her? Stress - such as being taken to a swap and then being moved to a new home - often disrupts production. It can take a couple of weeks for birds to settle back in and resume production after such an interruption.

Back
Top Bottom