New to frizzles

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sooz, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Sooz

Sooz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    n ireland
    I have just today bought a pair of Frizzles (white) a cock and hen. I believe they are about five weeks old, I have put them in a brooder for now as I felt they were a little bit young to be on their own for heat especially at night. I will look up the breed and find out as much as I can about them but would love to hear any stories or advice anyone has aout them. Also someone told me that a brother and sister can breed once is this true? The person who sold me the frizzles could not promise me that they were not related - he had tow cocks with four or five hens.

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    YAY! Congratulations on the chicks!! I have frizzles and I love them!! You should not breed a frizzle to a frizzle because you will end up with a frazzle, which is a frizzle with very bad feathering. Sometimes they can be almost bald!! Try to find a regular feathered hen for the rooster and a regular rooster for the hen and you will have about 50/50 hatches!(50% frizzle, 50% non) I have my frizzles with a bantam cochin, but you can breed them with any straight feathered chicken! Good luck!!

3. Sooz

Apr 13, 2009
    n ireland
    Thanks for the advice I really did not know that. I especially got two frizzles as I thought thats how to keep them the same breed. I do have cochins so I will let them all mix in together then. I still have the frizzels in a brooder as I think they look quire fragile but I may chance putting them jin with my other hens soon. Its just they look so small compares to the rest.

4. Sooz

Apr 13, 2009
    n ireland
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of my frizzles.Do you think they are big enough to go out to the main coop? I am worried as they are so small.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Adorable! I'd give them a while longer in the brooder if it were me.. Good luck! I need some frizzles!!!!! [​IMG]

6. Sooz

Apr 13, 2009
    n ireland
    I think I will wait. I just feel a bit sorry for them as I have some RIR chicks who were adopted by one of my hens and they are having a ball outside. However mum and chicks snuggle up each night and I guess keep each other warm. The chicks pecked at the frizzles when I tried to introduce them, thinking mum might adopt them too so I don't think she would be happy to keep them warm. My other hens are in a large run but I think the frizzles are definitly too small to go in with them yet. I will give it a week and then try with my other chicks first. Perhaps I will let them out on their own to run around while I watch them, then bring them back in.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awww they are adorable!
    One thing not mentioned about frizzles is they are ground dwelling birds, due to their feathers they can't fly. I have one red frizzle and didn't know they couldn't roost until I saw her struggling to get up there with the other birds. I noticed as well that the others had a tough time letting her into the flock because she looked sooo different. I would keep yours in quarentine for at least 30 days just to be safe, that should give them plenty of time to grow a bit more. Have fun with them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by