New to frizzles

Sooz

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
n ireland
I have just today bought a pair of Frizzles (white) a cock and hen. I believe they are about five weeks old, I have put them in a brooder for now as I felt they were a little bit young to be on their own for heat especially at night. I will look up the breed and find out as much as I can about them but would love to hear any stories or advice anyone has aout them. Also someone told me that a brother and sister can breed once is this true? The person who sold me the frizzles could not promise me that they were not related - he had tow cocks with four or five hens.

YAY! Congratulations on the chicks!! I have frizzles and I love them!! You should not breed a frizzle to a frizzle because you will end up with a frazzle, which is a frizzle with very bad feathering. Sometimes they can be almost bald!! Try to find a regular feathered hen for the rooster and a regular rooster for the hen and you will have about 50/50 hatches!(50% frizzle, 50% non) I have my frizzles with a bantam cochin, but you can breed them with any straight feathered chicken! Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice I really did not know that. I especially got two frizzles as I thought thats how to keep them the same breed. I do have cochins so I will let them all mix in together then. I still have the frizzels in a brooder as I think they look quire fragile but I may chance putting them jin with my other hens soon. Its just they look so small compares to the rest.

27928_frizzels_003.jpg

Here is a picture of my frizzles.Do you think they are big enough to go out to the main coop? I am worried as they are so small.

Adorable! I'd give them a while longer in the brooder if it were me.. Good luck! I need some frizzles!!!!!
big_smile.png

I think I will wait. I just feel a bit sorry for them as I have some RIR chicks who were adopted by one of my hens and they are having a ball outside. However mum and chicks snuggle up each night and I guess keep each other warm. The chicks pecked at the frizzles when I tried to introduce them, thinking mum might adopt them too so I don't think she would be happy to keep them warm. My other hens are in a large run but I think the frizzles are definitly too small to go in with them yet. I will give it a week and then try with my other chicks first. Perhaps I will let them out on their own to run around while I watch them, then bring them back in.

Awww they are adorable!
One thing not mentioned about frizzles is they are ground dwelling birds, due to their feathers they can't fly. I have one red frizzle and didn't know they couldn't roost until I saw her struggling to get up there with the other birds. I noticed as well that the others had a tough time letting her into the flock because she looked sooo different. I would keep yours in quarentine for at least 30 days just to be safe, that should give them plenty of time to grow a bit more. Have fun with them
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom