OrlandoMama

Chirping
Jun 21, 2021
My flock is 17 weeks and 1 day and with the exception of my rooster that was gifted to me that’s for sure over a year. I have 2 rhode island reds, 2 light brahmas, and two prairie bluebell easter eggers. I have seen absolutely none of the girls squat or lay eggs but for the last few days I’ve seen him breed a rhode island red and light brahma. This is my first flock so I’m kinda confused. I know the reds a close to sexual maturity but the other girls? And I thought they had to squat.

Breeding has nothing to do with the presence of eggs, it's ovulation, not the result of breeding. no female needs a male present to ovulate.
Squatting is a possible sign of close to lay, 17 weeks is pretty young for most breeds, most lay about 20 weeks or even more, brahmas (especially) and the eggers could take longer. Side note, do not feed layer feed when you have roosters in your flock ,too much calcium, not nearly enough protein, if you can get it, feed all flock or flock raiser.

They absolutely do not have to squat. Nat sure what other people are doing to get those results, but I have never had a bird squat for me to signal she was close to laying. And males will breed with young females, especially ifnthats all they have. I've got 5 month males that try to grab my little 3 month old mosaic females

My flock is 17 weeks and 1 day and with the exception of my rooster that was gifted to me that’s for sure over a year. I have 2 rhode island reds, 2 light brahmas, and two prairie bluebell easter eggers. I have seen absolutely none of the girls squat or lay eggs but for the last few days I’ve seen him breed a rhode island red and light brahma. This is my first flock so I’m kinda confused. I know the reds a close to sexual maturity but the other girls? And I thought they had to squat.
A 'good' cock/erel will not mate a pullet that is not sexually mature.
So if he's mounting her, and hasn't previously, and she's allowing it,
it is a good sign that she may be getting close to point of lay.
Squatting, mating, pelvic points spread may all happen up to a couple weeks before eggs appear.

Here's some other signs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I’ve had a similar situation happening with my 15 month olds.
Basically the boys are ready as their hormones are surging and the ladies are not.
Call it practice if you will.
A good cockerel also will know when your girls are saying “no” and not continue or chase them down when they get away.
It’s just like in humans the men hit their sexual peak long before the women do.

Back
Top Bottom