10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
the ducky room
sad.png
why do they have to grow so fast????? my babies are losing their baby down
hit.gif
they are getting their bare little chicken wings too
hit.gif

*pat*pat*pat* i hear you, i thought the same thing earlier this year when my 7 ducklings moved out of the brooder and into a 'big duck pen' with a heater. I got my guys and gals early March, so they are now full grown practically @ roughly 14 weeks. I however have a pair of muscovies and the female is laying on a dozen eggs, so i am looking forward to the next baby duckies.
big_smile.png

Next year you can have more babies off of this years babies. Make that your mantra "More babies next year"
lol.png

lol thank you! and congrats on your babies! i have a pair of 7 month olds outside lol. one of the growing babies is from my first clutch. i am hoping my little quackers lays another clutch soon lol so i can have more babies
big_smile.png

Yes I am excited about going out to the neighbor's yard to check on the ducks (all my ducks stay down at my neighbor's property 80% of time) and finding baby duckies in the weenie dog's dog box with mama (Tiffany
smile.png
) I have got to take pictures of the duck in the dog house though, thats where she nested at in her best friend the weenie dog's dog box. XD I have never candled them, I just figure I'd let nature take its course and have a surprise. especially since I dont know the exact day she started laying in there or anything, so we'll see!

aweeee how exciting!!! and how cute her best friend is a weenie dog lol. i candled mine. my hen was broody in my bedroom
sickbyc.gif
lol but it was kinda fun minus the stank lol. i would try to get her into the tub so i could look in the eggs. no more broody ducks in the bedroom

lol I could never keep a duck in the house...had them inside for my daughter before for an hour or two in the kitchen but MAN are they MESSY MESSY MESSY and the stink...ewww my god. I can barely stand chicks in a brooder in the house. Luckily now I have a 2nd shed so they can all stay out in the wood brooder in the shed even in the cold (thats where the ducklings were at at night
smile.png
so no peepy duckies to keep me awake - lol but yeah, I am loving the 2nd shed with enough free space for a good sized brooder box. I was very OCD when i had chicks and ducks in the house before and would clean the stuff 1-2+ times a DAY so it wouldn't smell !!

lol i didn't wana see mine go out. i was sad. i was also glad i didn't have to do so much laundry anymore lol. my brooder is a kids portable play pen. it's in my room with my 3 little babies
love.gif

I love the babies, I will spend as much time as I can with them, and I mean I enjoy hearing them...but being a single mom and an insomniac, when i can go to sleep I like to stay asleep. lmao. I'm overly sensative to smells, my cat box is uber clean, my dishes dont sit no more than 24 hrs and I clean the outside animal area's / cages regularly cause I cant stand to be down wind of the smell. lmao. I know, an animal lover who is stick a phobic!

lol. i try to keep them as clean as possible. this time around i realize they are messy and there isn't much i csn do. i love having them sooo much though. right now i have 3 ducklings on my bed lol. there is a sheet over. my little scovy duckling is curious about my lap top lol she keeps looking down here hahaha.

At least you get to keep yours longer.... Some of the ones I hatched at the same time as you are going to their new home tomorrow. 5 of them are going... I have to pick out my two favorites tonight to keep, and Stevie - Ray will be staying here a while longer too. BUt going from 8 to 3 in the brooder will be so sad. I can already hear some voice changes- and have to keep two of the girls. Thet too are starting to look more like adolecents than babies.... And I wont get to see them grow up...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom