Not sure if Hen is egg bound?

HenandPen

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Hi
I've only had hens a few months and havent had any problems with them, they have a varied diet, get to roam the garden freely and generally seem really happy.
Yesterday one started looking ill - lethargic, hunched over, droopy tail. I read about egg bound hens but overnight she laid a very soft shelled egg which was followed by a lot of watery excrement. She looked much healthier and when I let her out this morning she was eating again and seemed back to normal.
This afternoon she has started laying down and seems to have the same symptoms again. I havent felt her as she has taken herself into the coop where she normally lays so I didnt want to disturb her but I dont know if I am doing the right thing.
Her droppings are green and white but not runny.
Anyone had similar problems? Shes only about 8 months old.
thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.

Sorry your post has been unanswered for so long, it's not normally like this, usually you'll get too many answers.

There are lots of posts about this subject, here is one of the more recent Soft Shelled Eggs .

If you do a search for 'Soft Shelled Eggs' (top right of the page) you'll find other topics that might help you.

Good Luck

They are such a pain, they just sit there all mopey and hope you know what to do. Pointing to the problem area with their beak would be handy.

Make sure she is eating and drinking plenty, green poop can be a sign of malnourishment but some poop is normally green anyway, keep her filled up - I've never seen an overfed chicken.

Back
Top Bottom