Not sure of my roo, He's scaring me!

mpcardona

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
Mineola, Texas
I have a Delaware/Brama mix rooster. I got him about 2 weeks ago and at first he was really cute. I even named him Stevie cause of his little neck dance. Anyways, he started doing this little dance to me. He would duck down and kind of tip top towards me sideways. He was so funny. Well yesterday he was kind of creeping me out. He was following me. I know this might sound odd, it's like he was stalking me. Then he kinda fluffed up his neck feathers and came at me. He didn't attack me, but he scared the H*$$ out of me. And honestly I'm not sure what to do or make from this. My hens are around 30 weeks and haven't started laying yet. Could this be part of the problem? Can anyone fill me in on what makes my roo do this?

Your are right on target to be watchful, because those are definitely agressive behaviors. Just keep an eye on him. A good thing to do would be grab him up and carry him around a bit, if you can. Make sure you're not wearing bright colors like reds or pinks when you go to the coop, because some roosters are threatened by that color, and be sure to wear jeans, in case he tries to flog you. (They strike at you with their spurs.) If you have jeans on, chances are it won't hurt much, but if his behavior escalates to the attack, you will need to put him in his place.

Don't be scared, just be watchful.

Sharon

There is a handy discussion under a thread titled "got flogged by a rooster tonight" some people discuss their ways of handling aggresive cocks, I found it interesting and informative.

The wing dance that you described is a dominance thing, and the most important thing to remember is you need to be king or queen chicken in your flock. Don't be scared of him, if he's stalking you then turn right around and walk very directly at him with confidence, make him move for you.

I honestly think you should check out that thread and decide how you want to handle him. Some say one strike you're out, some pick him up and carry him around, and some practice their fieldgoal kicking skills... Look into it and decide how you want to deal, but the most important thing to remember is if you are scared of him he knows it and will keep it up.

Embarrass him. Pick him up and carry him around. This makes him look like a wimp to the other chickens. Some people will give em a little boot to the bum. I've put mine in time out when he started getting too mean towards the younger chickens. A 20 minute time out got the job done but others need a more aggressive approach.

My personal choice (if you were asking me) is the stare down, walk through method at first stalking and anything after I punt that mother across the yard.

Mind you, I don't mistreat my animals but I am not going to put up with aggression from any of my animals. Some guys may respond to the carrying around (in fact one of mine did) but some don't respond to that, read up on it and find what you are comfortable with, or cook him.

That's too funny Nickie! The first time it happened I had two thoughts in mind. 1st kick the little bugger, 2nd he would make a yummy dinner. But I would love to keep him, he is a beautiful bird. Thanks Guys!!

I'd show that sucker the business end of my boot. He seems to be looking at you as one of his ladies, that can't fly. I've chased my roos, put a boot to them, held them down to the ground, "pecked" them with my fingers. I've had quite a few cockerels come up in my yard, and I've had to show every single one of them whose boss. But I've never been attacked by one, nor have I ever been afraid of one. Show your naughty boy who's boss, with most roosters, a good stomp on the ground when they approach you will send them fleeing in terror. Puff your chest up, hold your head high and walk through the chicken yard like you're the barest mo fo there. Good luck!

I am happy to report that I did it. I went out there like I knew what I was doing. I had my 5ft dow rod and stood my ground and walked up on him and had no problems from him. I feel very good now, lol. Thanks ladies!!

Back
Top Bottom