Not sure what is wrong with my hen

BHelena

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 8, 2015
I have a 2 year old Buff and she started with a black spot on her lower beak for several months , not growing or anything. I kept an eye on it and thought mabye she just injured herself .

Well we went on vacation for a week and had my neighbors watching them, and they didn't notice.

But when I went out to check on them the whole side of her face was completely swollen, I don't have a chicken vet locally and I have been searching the internet for what this could be. It's only on the one side and swelling is so bad I'm worried she is just suffering with an inevitable fate.

I have tried to give her some things, Nutridrench first off because she not has slowed down eating and yesterday she didn't want to come out of the pen. And I have given her somme terramicyn. When I have her on that she seems to be out with other.

I haven't noticed anything anywhere else or on any of my other hens, so I'm hoping it's not contagious bc I hate to take her out of her comfort.

She free ranges most of the day (Usually) so I have no clue. Was thinking mabye a canker but it all just looks rotten. I'm just sick my poor sweet girl it like this.

(The dark red on her , is not blood, it's the Nutridrench I couldn't wipe off)

Attachments

• IMG_20211117_091946.jpg
    IMG_20211117_091946.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20211117_091951_1.jpg
    IMG_20211117_091951_1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211117_091953_1.jpg
    IMG_20211117_091953_1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 5
Please try reposting the photos and select full image this time. Maybe we can then zoom in for a closer look.

The fact that this began with just a tiny black spot leads me to suspect cancer. Is there any rank odor to it? When you touch the swelling under the eye, is it squishy or rock hard?

No, no better. Your camera lacks enough pixels to squeeze out much detail.

Is the swelling hard or soft?

Have you opened her mouth to see what it looks like inside?

If there is a lot of swelling, she may not be able to swallow.

Have you checked her for weight loss? Have you seen her eat? Does she have trouble eating and drinking?

She can eat and drink, but I can tell that it's slowing. She definitely is lacking interest in it. And she has always been a thin hen because of her activity, but she has lost a little weight.

I tried to get better pictures, but I can't keep her head still enough for my camera to focus.

It is soft and of course warm becuase of the swelling.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my comments.

Now,how about you look inside her mouth and tell us what you see? Look deep in her throat. Get someone to help hold her beak wide open and shine a flashlight in there.

Ok, the back looks completely clear. I didn't see anything that is unusual. Just the inside of where here beak is in her mouth it looks black and dry, almost like it's rotting off.

I don't have any valuable input on this, but I am very curious about your hen.

I just wanted to clarify, only the feathers have nutridench on it? The area I circled is not nutridench?

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20211117_091946_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_20211117_091946_LI.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
Correct, only the feathers. That area you have circled is in fact the original area that had the blackish piece on her beak, that has now swollen. I will try to get a better picture. She is getting very aggravated with me prying on her.

I have just not been able to figure out what it could be because everything I have researched doesn't seem to match. That's why I thought I would reach out on here.

Back
Top Bottom