NPIP Certification

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by horsechick, Feb 2, 2009.

1. henpeckedacres

henpeckedacres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Western MA
    I know a woman who just had this done here in MA and it is free here also. I just now submitted my query for it. I am not sure at what age but my flock is all here and if I purchase anymore (we need a Roo) I will purchase from a tested flock. I may wait till fall however as that is when the girls will be producing. I just wanted more info myself.

I inquiried about having my Geese tested as well.., as they will be bred.

You can find links to your agents here:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/htba_part.shtml

2. Shelly_WNC

Shelly_WNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Pleasant Shade, TN
    How does this work? Say I arrange to get NPIP certified and then purchase 3 chickens (NPIP certified) from another state, am I still considered certified?

3. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    yes. you can purchase birds from another npip breeder. you can hatch eggs from anyone and buy chicks from npip. Hatcheries are npip.

5. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the exact process and how does this work.. I am in texas... all my birds come from breeders that are NPIP certified... but if I want to become a breeder... im sure I need to become certified too.. right? Has anyone been certified, if so, how did it work, what did they do when they came to your place and what are they looking for?

6. Carol.in.WV

Carol.in.WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    Pendleton County, WV
    Glad I'm in WV where it is free. I am a bit nervous though because Jonathon is coming today at noon. Most of my birds are still cooped up .........and most unhappy, but he had a prior appointment. I still haven't finished all the housing I need to build and about 10 or so are running loose......that should be fun. Got about 3 hours to clean my coop and better get on it!

7. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Good luck!

8. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    So what happens if your flock doesn't pass ...do they make you put all your birds down?!

9. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I didn't realize it could cost money. The tester is coming tomorrow morning, but never mentioned fees. Hopefully, he won't charge. I have waterfowl, endangered waterfowl. So if I find some for sale from pretty much anyone, I might buy some. They are so hard to find I'd be crazy to turn away suppliers just because they aren't NPIP certified. Could I have the tester come out and test the new birds I bring in to keep my certification? There's VERY little info about NPIP on any site for Alabama. Any tips would be helpful.

10. WinterSkyMoonRanch

WinterSkyMoonRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    California
    Wow, the rules seem a little crazy surrounding NPIP testing. Does anyone know the laws for California? Cost? What do they do...take blood? How does the test work?
    thanx:/

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by