Nutrition and Care for Heritage/Exhibition/SOP Birds

Mosey2003

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 13, 2016
North-Central IL
Can we have a thread to share some knowledge on these things? I've been searching and reading old threads (working my way through the 1500 page (!) Heritage Large Fowl thread) and I'd like to see some info about what breeders currently are up to. Especially dual purpose exhibition breeders.

What do you guys feed chicks? I've seen it ranging from 30% gamebird starter to 28% to 26% to "standard" 18%-20%. I want to try to help my birds reach their full genetic potential, and I've read in various places that higher protein the first 8 weeks is important. But I'd like to hear more! I remember reading about a Buckeye breeder selling a batch of chicks and the buyer not following the advice to feed 30% and their birds being markedly different, and I'd like to revisit that but haven't been able to find it.

I've also read a bit here and there about hatching at different times of year affecting both size potential and point of lay, and having possible laying issues because of too much daylight too early. Does anyone account for this and manipulate daylight (artificially) to take it into account? Do fall/winter hatches really fail to get as large, provided you keep them warm enough? Does summer heat effect them in any way?

Are there any other care and feeding aspects that are done differently when raising and breeding these heavy exhibition birds? I already keep mine on a 20% crumble that includes animal protein, I feel pretty strongly that the kind of protein really does matter.

I know some of our wise old mentors are sadly gone, but I'd like to strike up a conversation similar to ones there have been here before. I want to do the best I can by my birds and I really like talking about care and management.

When I have Turkeys hatching I put them with baby chickens to get started and they all get the 26%-28% Turkey starter. Phenomenal results for the chickens! They show a difference in stoutness. So the Turkeys taught me that it's perfectly ok to start baby chickens on a game bird feed.

I no longer feed any layer feed to breeders. It just isn't enough protein, a minimum of 18% protein would do, 20% is better. If chick starter is for growing chicks, then the same nutrients need to end up in the yolk by way of the hen, in order to give them a good start from incubation onward.

I have a couple of Turkeys hatching today, another batch of baby chicks go into lockdown this morning and they'll end up brooded with those Turkeys. The current batch of babies that are a week old have been on regular chicken starter. So I'll be able to see a side by side of two different batches of chicks on two different feeds. The chicks are from the same pens, so they're genetically the same, the eggs laid a week apart.

I've never noticed a seasonal difference, though there has been a difference between pullet eggs and eggs from a mature hen, the chicks from the bigger/mature eggs always developed better/bigger. I wait at least 2 months after the first pullet eggs before I even think about hatching from young birds. It does seem to make a difference to wait for the eggs to "get right". I've heard that based on breed size, you want hatching eggs to weigh about 53g-63g, though I've never weighed mine.

In the past we were able to free range, during that time hatch rates were typically 90%-100% and the flock looked great. Going to penned birds quickly showed that regular layer feed wasn't going to have them looking as great as the birds with the varied diet and they weren't hatching as easily. The hatch rate dipped to 50%-80% though had 91% fertility.

Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for :D It will be really interesting to see the results of your side-by-side as well.

My pullets didn't get past 55 gram eggs before they quit for winter, so I'm hoping they get up around 60 grams pretty quick this spring so I can get the pairings done and get some chicks on the ground to see what I have.

Kind of sad nobody else has wanted to chime in :(

I did manage to find a 28% medicated gamebird starter locally and am using it for a small batch of chicks I hatched Dec 28th and am really happy with it so far.

I use 24% gamebird/showbird
gamebirdshowbird-5-lb-front_0.jpg

I've seen that, Cyprus, but not thrilled that it only comes in 5lb bags. The 50lb gamebird starter I got was $17 something. Pricey, but I'm only using it for the first 8 weeks.

I've seen that, Cyprus, but not thrilled that it only comes in 5lb bags. The 50lb gamebird starter I got was $17 something. Pricey, but I'm only using it for the first 8 weeks.
I only raise 2-4 chicks at a time, so good enough for me.

I agree with the gamebird feed for large fowl Heritage breeds. Right now I am feeding my large fowl Light Sussex the Nutrena Feather Fixer. It is 18% and the calcium is close enough to layer not to worry. I checked with Nutrena and they told me I could feed Feather Fixer to my heritage birds as long as they were older than 16 weeks.
For chicks I feed Nutrena chick and the 1st 2 weeks they get Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench at the rate of 1 1/2 tsp. per quart of water. nutridrench.com
For me, it is all about developing a properly function G.I. tract as early as possible. I find Poultry Nutri-Drench is an important part of that.
Best,
Karen

For me, it is all about developing a properly function G.I. tract as early as possible.
Access to grit early heavily impacts this.

I actually quit using nutri drench for new hatches as it falsely kept some alive that didn't connect with food.

I don't do medicated... I do use Purina turkey starter 30% protein... on my heritage and Silkies for several weeks after hatch.... with excellent results.

Will follow up soon, hopefully with some links! Gotta run for a moment.
0430171745g.jpg
1519055167608.jpg

:pop

Back
Top Bottom