Official BYC Poll: Where Do You Buy Your Feed From & Why?

Where do you buy feed (and explain why below)?

• Total voters
Pics
I was buying feed from a local feed store. The people are very nice, but they often got overwhelmed by my order even if I wrote it out and sent it to them ahead of time. They also had cats opening the bags and peeing in the feed which they made right the time I told them, but the hassle of driving 20 minutes and having issues is something of a deterrent.
I tried another local feed store about a half hour away. They had to special order my feed. When I got there they told me to go in and pay and they'd load it up. They happily charged me $25/bag for the organic feed I ordered and loaded up $8/bag feed. We noticed when we stopped to get gas and went back. They never ordered the feed they charged me for and didn't want to take back the other or refund me.
I gave up and have started ordering online from newcountryorganics.com I get a farm tote and it costs me way less even with delivery. A feed seller nearby has reached out to me through a Facebook group for my area and I may try them next time, but the tote has turned out to be a very easy to manage format for us. We'll see.
I do get other animal foods like dog food at rural king and and pig food and organic grains via a local grain coop.

I buy at a feed mill about an hour and a half away. They are the closest source of Non-GMO feed at a reasonable price. Cost is between $11 & $12.50 per 50# bag depending on the feed chosen. My local co-op sells the same feed for $18.50/bag.

I get chicken feed from Atwoods.
When I first started out, it’s where I bought my first starter feed, and my flock has done so well over the years, I’ve never wanted to risk changing it up. I buy the store brand.
If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Lol

Cat food from there or anywhere, as it’s the cheaper stuff. With her being outside most of the time, I think the fillers and fat and crap in it help her stay fit.

Dog gets a special prescription diet. Bladder stone surgery was costly. Not doing that again.

I buy from a local family owned feed and seed store. The prices are competitive with the co-op across town and they are like 2 minutes from my work. If I lived on the west side of town I’d buy from the co-op, but I’m a east side chicken man. I pay $8.50 for 50lbs. of 22% layer feed. They know me. The guys outside ask me what I’m getting and it’s in my truck before I can get to the counter inside. That goes a long way with me. I have to agree with another post that said they would get out of chickens if TSC was the only place to buy feed.
I wish I could find a place like this in my area. ;(

I buy all feed at TSC (minus hay) , it's just easier to buy there. I don't buy the organic feed since I haven't had luck with it before.

Since my quail are very picky, I need to buy them a separate kind of feed that costs more.
groooan-gif.2412733
Other than that I just use Dumor and Purina.

I go to Tractor Supply for my chickens and our local Pigeon club an hour away for Pigeon feed that is delivered from the mill 1x every other month.

I care more about quality of Feed.
I switched Pigeon feed years ago and found that the best, cleanest feed came from Purgrain. When I pour it into the feed tins, I don't see pieces of corn stalk or have a ton of grain dust, like other brands had. The grain is always perfect.

I tried a couple of different places for chicken feed and got either wet & moldy, full of grain bugs or just very old & turning to dust feed, so I stick with Tractor Supply. I like Producer's Pride, it smells really nice, my chicken's poop doesn't smell & my chickens like it. Also, after carpal & knee issues I like 40lb bags.

Back
Top Bottom