Official BYC Poll: Where Do You Buy Your Feed From & Why?

Where do you buy feed (and explain why below)?

• Total voters
Pics
I buy the Nature's Best organic chicken feed at TSC, but I've been thinking about trying to find a local feed store. There MUST be some nearby somewhere since I'm in a semi-rural area and lots of horses and cattle around. I feed the dogs and cat a raw food diet that I grind. I'm extremely picky about my pets feed in general and would really like to get a good organic, non GMO feed for my chickens as well. My girls do seem to do well on the feed they have and also free range in my yard every day, so maybe it's fine.

My cat had two episodes of blocked urinary tract on kibble and the prescription food is only three options ( Purina, Royal Canin, and Hills) and all of them either have a non specified species of "meat by-product" or wheat gluten on the list of ingredients. Those are two of my big no-nos in pet food. With the raw meat the cat has no issues and does extremely well on it. He's 14.

The raw food cost about the same for me than the kibble I would feed (Farmina N/D). Raw cost me $1.60/Lb and Farmina runs $2.68/Lb. One of my dogs is a Giant Schnauzer and eats 3lb of raw per day or 6 cups of kibble. It comes out pretty close and I like knowing exactly what my dogs and cat are eating. Besides, the picky poodle will eat it better than any prepared brand I've tried...and I've tried a TON.

Pics of my boys :)
IMG_20201213_155122444.jpg
042620.jpg
phone 025.jpg

We get ours from our local farm and feed store (luckily, we have one although we live in a pretty urban/suburban area). We've been buying from there for years and know all the workers. They have pretty reasonable prices, too, and we like supporting local businesses.

We get Scratch and Peck (very expensive :hmm) and make it last longer by soaking it in water (not long enough to fully ferment, but there's definitely less waste that way). For every day feed, we give them whatever brand of layer crumble our store carries. We have no other pets--chickens are enough entertainment and work lol!

Our local feed mills are significantly cheaper than TSC, we will go there on occasion (usually Sunday's when our locals are closed and we need something)
Also much more knowledgeable and seem like they want to be there (and closer than our local TSC)
I have bought stuff online when needed but mainly feed mills.
Our dog food we buy online as it is not a brand kept in store.

I've been thinking about trying to find a local feed store.
I'd probably use one of the feed & seed near me but TSC is just so much closer.
would really like to get a good organic, non GMO feed for my chickens
Any organic will be non-gmo. Or are you trying to say that the Nature's Best is not as good as you'd like?

I don't have chickens yet, but I buy my dog's food at the feed and seed here locally. Price is about the same at TSC but I like to support local establishments when I can. I will most likely buy the chicken feed and bedding there as well once I have birds. Cat food I get at Walmart (when they have the brand I buy).

Back
Top Bottom