Ooh! Question time! What kind of lights? Those are super important. What else do you have in it? Can you post a pic? I bought a 29 gal when a store was having a sale just for saltwater, but I haven’t gotten any further due to the lights and the salt. What spectrometer do you use?
How do you do your salt? Whhat water do you use, tap or RO?
Sorry for the overload! I uust hear it’s SO expensive , but when I talk to my fish guys, it doesn’t sound that much different than freshwater care. I just feel I’m missing something.

Based on our (limited!) experience, the start up costs are higher than for a fresh water tank. My friend gave us everything she had, free of charge (hundreds of dollars in equipment, livestock, food, and testing and maintenance supplies). So definitely not cheap initially, but then neither were either of my reptiles.

The good news is that once we got the tank re-established and stable, the care has been pretty easy and inexpensive. We try to clean the inside of the glass daily, top off with fresh water every day or two (to compensate for evaporation), and do a weekly water change. Oh, and the feeding schedule is
more elaborate and complex than our fresh tank but still not bad.

This is the light my friend gave us. It is very fancy and is controlled through WiFi communication with an app:eek:
05E02C01-BE6D-4ACA-A5F2-66E14EC3F074.jpeg

And this is our hydrometer. My friend was actually using a pretty basic one but we were brand new at this and wanted to make sure we were doing things correctly, so we bought a fancy digital, instant read hydrometer.
65A8B594-2CD1-4B91-8855-14A744B93629.jpeg

We are very fortunate to have two amazing reef stores in town. They are super helpful, answering our questions and making recommendations. We buy all of our tank water from the reef stores. They sell both plain RO/DI water (for tank top offs) and saltwater (they mix it themselves). You just have to bring your own 5 gallon containers. Costs us a couple bucks a week for water but saves a ton of hassle.

I will for sure take pics after I clean the tank this weekend!

Good morning everyone!

I'm really liking the fact that I'm getting more traffic on my Flock Rooster article. I'm really enjoying responding to the specific questions I'm getting in the comments.
:frow Good afternoon Rae, hope you've had a great day... Sorry for so late, got sucked into work
Hello everyone, worked late last night/early this morning. Got home and in bed around 5:00am.

I got a lot I need to do today after I get woke up.

I hope you all have a good day.
:frowGood afternoon Daniel, hope you've had a great day and slept well.
No special glass for this little guy. He is a candy-stripe pistol shrimp—the smallest pistol species. Some other types get really big! Even the little guy is pretty loud though. He has woken me up in the night a couple of times, lol.

We adopted the tank and it's resident's from a good friend that was moving across country. It is a just a basic 20 gallon tank (with the addition of some super fancy lights). We moved the tank and all its residents to our place in June and are really loving it. DH has always wanted a salt tank.

INCOMING HUGS! For Daniel, Nunny, Sue, and Cappy :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs Hoping things start looking up soon.
:frow Good afternoon CSA, hope you've had a great day
Sorry to hear that :hugs

Which breed is this? It is really pretty!

Sigh! Maybe someday I’ll have a flock and then I can regale you with tons of questions. Lol!

Ooh! Question time! What kind of lights? Those are super important. What else do you have in it? Can you post a pic? I bought a 29 gal when a store was having a sale just for saltwater, but I haven’t gotten any further due to the lights and the salt. What spectrometer do you use?
Sorry for the overload! I uust hear it’s SO expensive , but when I talk to my fish guys, it doesn’t sound that much different than freshwater care. I just feel I’m missing something.
:frow Good afternoon Fishy, hope you've had a great day... If I've already wished you a great day just chalk it up to old age and poor memory.

Based on our (limited!) experience, the start up costs are higher than for a fresh water tank. My friend gave us everything she had, free of charge (hundreds of dollars in equipment, livestock, food, and testing and maintenance supplies). So definitely not cheap initially, but then neither were either of my reptiles.

The good news is that once we got the tank re-established and stable, the care has been pretty easy and inexpensive. We try to clean the inside of the glass daily, top off with fresh water every day or two (to compensate for evaporation), and do a weekly water change. Oh, and the feeding schedule is
more elaborate and complex than our fresh tank but still not bad.

This is the light my friend gave us. It is very fancy and is controlled through WiFi communication with an app:eek:
View attachment 2348108

And this is our hydrometer. My friend was actually using a pretty basic one but we were brand new at this and wanted to make sure we were doing things correctly, so we bought a fancy digital, instant read hydrometer.
View attachment 2348111

We are very fortunate to have two amazing reef stores in town. They are super helpful, answering our questions and making recommendations. We buy all of our tank water from the reef stores. They sell both plain RO/DI water (for tank top offs) and saltwater (they mix it themselves). You just have to bring your own 5 gallon containers. Costs us a couple bucks a week for water but saves a ton of hassle.

I will for sure take pics after I clean the tank this weekend!
Yeah, Hannah is pretty pricey. I have never seen a light like that! Cool. I did forget to ask about feeding. How does that work? Do kost eat flake or pellets? Or do you have to do fresh or frozen? I have my big tank with the bichirs, angels and synodontis that O give frozen shrimp or krill to. I tried buying a bag of mixed seafood, but since we don’t eat it ourselves, I don’t know how to prepare it. I thought microwVing in a cup of water, but then I didn’t know if it was cooked or not. Also, I dont know how long frozen seafood stays “fresh”.
:frow Good afternoon Rae, hope you've had a great day... Sorry for so late, got sucked into work
:frowGood afternoon Daniel, hope you've had a great day and slept well.
:frow Good afternoon CSA, hope you've had a great day
:frow Good afternoon Fishy, hope you've had a great day... If I've already wished you a great day just chalk it up to old age and poor memory.
Nope, this is number 1. I think :lol:
Either way, you’re good :)

Sorry to hear that :hugs

Which breed is this? It is really pretty!

Sigh! Maybe someday I’ll have a flock and then I can regale you with tons of questions. Lol!

Jubilee Orpingtons

Back
Top Bottom