OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Any Northern Ohioans use sand in their coop? I think it sounds like a great idea but I have concerns. Is it gonna be to cold on chicken feet in winter? Will the poo just freeze to little sand covered rocks? How about wet weather? Yes the coop is dry inside but if the girls come in wet will they just be sand covered?

I use play sand in the run, great for cleaning up, I use sand/pine shavings in the coop works great!

Any Northern Ohioans use sand in their coop? I think it sounds like a great idea but I have concerns. Is it gonna be to cold on chicken feet in winter? Will the poo just freeze to little sand covered rocks? How about wet weather? Yes the coop is dry inside but if the girls come in wet will they just be sand covered?

We are in NE OH as well. Just over a year into chicken keeping and we've tried a few different things. We have always used a combo of sand and sweet pdz on our droppings board, scoops great, keeps odor down. We used sand in the coop last summer and early fall but I added straw in the late fall and kept in through the winter, they probably would have been fine with just sand but I worried about temperature and insulation. Then in the spring I emptied all the straw and sand out into the run and filled the coop with American Hemp which I am really loving from a smell, softness and low dust perspective. We brooded our chicks in it this spring and I like it better than pine shavings. Countryside Organics or New Country Organics as they are going by now distributes it. Only warning, don't sit in it or it will be stuck to your pants and/or coat. Then this Sunday we finally put a roof on our run as it was getting gross from all the rain. I mucked it out on Monday and put down a thin layer if sweet pdz and then all-purpose sand. Home Depot and Lowes sell it bagged, it's washed, coarse grit and made by Quick-Crete, less dust than play sand. I need to get some more bags to make it deeper but loving it so far.

I have 1 dozen buckeye chicks from Lay line for sale. These chicks were hatched June 8th. Message me if interested for price. These will go quick and we only have a dozen extra. My avatar is a picture of Lay buckeye chicks ;)

@SRHartley, we finally got a spot set up outside this weekend and moved the Buckeyes we got from you out of the brooder. Took them a while for them to decide the grass wasn't a bad thing. There was lots running amok and chest bumping as they explored their new space. So far, everyone is still healthy and growing like weeds.

The three RIR hens we had barely even acknowledged the chicks. Only one of them actually walked over to see what the fuss was all about. She just looked and walked away. Hopefully that is a good sign for their eventual integration.

Because only you guys would understand
1f62a.png
. I know I don't post whole lot but I do lurk quite a bit. A few days ago my entire flock ( 4 one year old hens and 12 rare layer assortment from Meyer 5 weeks old) were killed by our neighbors dog. My son (7yo) looked out his window and screamed to me that the dog was killing them first thing in the morning. I was able to catch the dog and lock it up thank goodness. Well the county took the neighbor to court and ordered restitution but she doesn't have to pay till January 2016! I have been just sick over it for the past few day. Neighbor did come over and acted like I shouldn't have chickens for her dog to be tempted by and gave a very unapologetic response. That was only after I explained that my chickens are properly confined unlike her dog. So now I'm trying to rebuild my flock slowly but surely. If anyone has any 5 week old pullets, or hens less than a year around Toledo let me know, I'm looking
1f614.png
thinking about getting an incubator so maybe even hatching eggs.

Because only you guys would understand
1f62a.png
. I know I don't post whole lot but I do lurk quite a bit. A few days ago my entire flock ( 4 one year old hens and 12 rare layer assortment from Meyer 5 weeks old) were killed by our neighbors dog. My son (7yo) looked out his window and screamed to me that the dog was killing them first thing in the morning. I was able to catch the dog and lock it up thank goodness. Well the county took the neighbor to court and ordered restitution but she doesn't have to pay till January 2016! I have been just sick over it for the past few day. Neighbor did come over and acted like I shouldn't have chickens for her dog to be tempted by and gave a very unapologetic response. That was only after I explained that my chickens are properly confined unlike her dog. So now I'm trying to rebuild my flock slowly but surely. If anyone has any 5 week old pullets, or hens less than a year around Toledo let me know, I'm looking
1f614.png

I'm sorry for your loss.
I will add my suggestion to bolster your defenses. A dog that has never known not to go after chickens thinks the moving squaking toys are lots of fun. If given the chance he may come back.

I'm sorry for your loss.
I will add my suggestion to bolster your defenses. A dog that has never known not to go after chickens thinks the moving squaking toys are lots of fun. If given the chance he may come back.

Yeah we've put up 6 foot chain link and buried about a foot and a half of chicken wire. Still thinking about covering the run, just not sure what to cover it with. Any suggestions?

I covered mine with bird netting/fruit tree netting, but I lock my girls up at night. The netting works well for daytime predators, but probably not so much for raccoons.

So now I'm trying to rebuild my flock slowly but surely. If anyone has any 5 week old pullets, or hens less than a year around Toledo let me know, I'm looking
1f614.png
So sorry about your loss. I have been fortunate enough to get neighbors who do not like dogs and somehow don't mind roosters crowing at 5am. I do hush them with lots of free eggs, however. Maybe next time you talk to your neighbor, you could offer to share some eggs once you get your new flock and they're laying. It might give her more incentive to hurry up with reparations.

Any idea on type? Large fowl? Layers? If breed is unimportant, I'm sure someone could supply you with some fertile "barnyard mix" eggs fairly easily. I breed Silkies mostly, but I have tons of other birds of various ancestry. If you don't find someone closer, let me know. I am in Southern Ohio.

Back
Top Bottom