***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Hello my friends,
I've been absent for awhile, but I need your help. I was told years ago we could have chickens in our town and I've had some (no roosters) for years. Yesterday I got a notice that I must get rid of my chickens because it's against city code. My only hope is to get them to change the code. Does anyone have a copy of a city code that does allow a small flock of hens within city limits? I only have a couple of days to make this happen. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Teri

Tulsa has one too.

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/media/50492/title_2_s20.pdf

You can look here at BYC about different laws in Oklahoma. Follow the link @lonnyandrinda provided to get to the law section.

Good advice. I'm just going to keep it as low key as possible and get my girls safe. Wouldn't it be great if they didn't put a limit on the number I could have? :)

I have been finding most cities/towns in Ok have their codes online. Shawnee is the only one I've found right now that allows chickens. Any one else from a town that allows chickens that I might look at their codes?
Thanks!
Teri!! I STILL have those 4 Orloff girls from you. Talk about healthy girls :) And your sister at Four Corners-I just love her! She neuters all my rabbits and she's super good at it.
I wish you all the best luck in keeping your birds.

I know Norman allows 4 hens. I thought OKC was voting to allow chickens.

Been a whole since we have posted. Last weekend we got a beautiful 7 month old Light Brahma Pullet. Had her home three days and she started laying. Previous owner said she hadn't started laying yet. We are slowly raising the number of our girls from the previous winter's attack on our girls. We now have eight hens and one roo. So want about ten more hens. We have added two Americauna hens also this year.

Quote: I am so happy to hear that Bumpers is improving.
celebrate.gif

I had "The Talk" today with the boys. All three are feeling apprehensive, but they are aware that their stay includes a change for the better, one that will allow them to remain best friends without jealousy over hens, without aggression, without all the fuss and noise and bullying that comes with transitioning from cockerel to rooster. I'll start their dietary preparation Saturday so that they will be ready for transition time on Monday.

Hi guys!

I'm brand new to BYC and have only had my little flock for a few months. I love it. I'm looking for isbar chicks locally (broken arrow or tulsa area). Please let me know if anyone has a lead. Thanks
check with Rhonda Martin in mounds, lisa leray in tahlequah, beth dupree in sand springs. Pm me if you need contact info they are all active in the facebook chicken and oklahoma groups. There is a facebook isbar group, too.

You can breed showgirl to showgirl, but they will become more "naked" in each generation if they are "pure" showgirls. the naked neck gene is dominant, so the first generation may still carry the gene for (non) naked neck (normal silkies). In that case, your chicks should be about half naked neck and half silkie. The silkies will not carry the naked neck gene (because of the NN dominance), and approximately half of the naked necks will no longer carry the plain silkie gene. Subsequent breedings of NN to NN will cause more and more sparse feathering.

You can breed showgirl to showgirl, but they will become more "naked" in each generation if they are "pure" showgirls. the naked neck gene is dominant, so the first generation may still carry the gene for (non) naked neck (normal silkies). In that case, your chicks should be about half naked neck and half silkie. The silkies will not carry the naked neck gene (because of the NN dominance), and approximately half of the naked necks will no longer carry the plain silkie gene. Subsequent breedings of NN to NN will cause more and more sparse feathering.
Thanks Betsy, I knew you said you could do possibly one breeding then after that they would have less and less feathers and more naked neck.

Hi guys!

I'm brand new to BYC and have only had my little flock for a few months. I love it. I'm looking for isbar chicks locally (broken arrow or tulsa area). Please let me know if anyone has a lead. Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
and to OKIE land. I saw where Rinda gave you info on folks who have isbars.

My yard is a swamp. But green things are popping up. The chicknes are mowing down the green things. The circle of life.
Yep, same thing here. the cows are out nipping the tiny clover and early grasses in the pastures and the chickens are doing a job on the grass around the barn...sure wish they would get the flowerbed weeds...

Little Joe has been doing great out with the cows in the front pasture. He doesn't have a calf to play with but that may change soon. And he still needs to learn about coming to the gate for his bucket bottle, but he does herd easily when we have to go get him to come in at night. He is the most spoiled 3 month old calf on the place. All 6 of the new babies have had to sleep outside with their Moms.

Chicks are hatching already today...two Cochins and a Bantam Delaware....10 more to go.

Back
Top Bottom