Old dog-When to say goodbye

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
My dog is 17 years old. She has recently dropped a lot of weight. All her bones stick out. She can't really stand to pee. Won't lift her tail. Deaf. I haven't noticed any stool the last day or two. She will only eat a scrambled egg, won't eat her regular food.

Is it time?

I no it's hard but yes I think it's her time. It's wouldn't be too fair for her to go through it for a while longer . My friend has the same situation and the dog has been like that for over a year now because his family won't let him put him down. It a sad sight to see :(. If you don't want her to suffer it would be best to let her go.

Does your dog enjoy life? Is she playing with toys, coming over as fast as she can for pets, obviously happy to see you? If not then it's time. Your dog does not sound like it's in a state where it's capable of enjoying much. Most dogs love food more than life itself... If your dog doesn't even like that, well then...

I usually tell people to ask themselves if they are keeping the dog/cat alive for themselves, or are they keeping the animal alive because it has a good quality of life. Personally, it sounds like it is time. Only you can make the decision though.
hugs.gif

Yes, it sounds as if it is time, it is the last act of kindness we can do for our faithful friends, to let them go before they suffer, hold them tight and let them slip away, easy it is not but selfless it is.......... my thoughts are with you
hugs.gif

After 17 years euthanasia is a difficult decision to make. And the decision is yours to make. Since of your location, I'm sure you can find a vet to come to your house and help you with this decision. Look into her eyes. She'll tell you. She's listened to you for 17 years. Now listen to her.

Thankyou for the "food for thought". We are not keeping her alive for ourselves. I really think it's time. She sleeps most of the time. But the thing that makes it hard with any animal is when they look at you like nothing's wrong. But , thankyou, I think it is time for her to go.

I just want to say thankyou for the support from everyone. We took her this morning, and she went peacefully. They have been our vet for our other dog for 5 years. After today, I'm not taking my other dog there anymore.

The receptionist has always been a sourpuss. She doesn't care how long you wait , and afterwards, it may take 1/2 hour just to pay her because she takes phone calls while you stand there. Today she puts us in a room, after 20 minutes, I went out and said how much longer is the weight? She gave me this snotty look and reply that it would be a few minutes, then just stared at me .

Most people , I imagine, want to get it over with, because they've already made their peace and said goodbys. THEN, while we're waiting, she comes in and says she'd like us to pay the bill now before it gets busy!!!!

But thankyou for everything you've all said.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom