Pics

ShrekDawg

Chicken Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Hi everyone, I have a bit of a weird question.

I was wondering if Orpingtons take longer to mature than other breeds or not??? Like in terms of mating, crowing, etc.

Because I have a 5 month old Lavender Orpington cockerel and he’s HUGE size wise but he still hasn’t done any of that stuff.

In fact, he is still terrified of the girls. Runs away if they look at him sideways. 😂🤣

Not that I care or anything, he can take his time, I’m just wondering if he’s normal or not haha

I did have a bunch of other cockerels with him and they started really crowing and acting crazy at like 4 months old, so I’m wondering if maybe they were just the dominant ones??

I had to put the last one down yesterday (was going to keep him but he got sick) and I think he was dominant because he was a very vigorous mater and crowed and everything 😂🤣 he was making fertile eggs at 4 months old. :th

He was a Welsummer.

So maybe now with Red gone Jack will step up? Or maybe the other boys were just early bloomers and Jack is more normal?

I’m hoping he starts mating soon because he is gorgeous but I don’t mind if he takes longer. He is very sweet.

Anyway, just wondering and thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to give.

Orpingtons are slow to mature. They will take 2 years to reach full size. Most start to mate between 5-10 months depending on the individual and the circumstances.

I personally prefer the slower boys. They are often nice gentle roosters.

Orpingtons are slow to mature. They will take 2 years to reach full size. Most start to mate between 5-10 months depending on the individual and the circumstances.

I personally prefer the slower boys. They are often nice gentle roosters.
Thanks!!! That’s good to know. In that case, he will be a VERY big boy then!!! :th

He was like 7 pounds or almost at 16 weeks (4 months) old :th

Not sure how much he weighs now. Probably even more. He’s now just over 5 months old.

I wonder if he will start to be more interested in it now that Red is gone??? Or maybe he will just take longer.

And yeah, my super fast maturing ones were jerks!!! LOL

So far Jack seems like a big gentle giant. 😂🤣

I currently have a big old fluffy chocolate Orpington rooster. He's a nice boy. I love the breed.
That’s awesome!!! :love

I love the breed too!!! I have two hens atm too and used to have a third one who was the sweetest chicken ever!!! And Jack is a giant lover not a fighter hahah

The chocolates are soooo gorgeous. :love

I just have the Lavender and buffs.

I had a Buff Orp cockerel too actually but he got killed pretty young. :( :hit

But Jack is so great.

A Fox took both of my buff Orpington roosters last year. I have one ordered as well as a dozen lavender Orpington hatching eggs, so I hope to add a few more this year.

Is he from a hatchery or a breeder? My hatchery pullets matured around 6 months but my breeder birds didnt mature until around 8-9 months old.

Attachments

• 8C394C52-0DF4-45FB-A469-4CE1018D90EE.jpeg
    8C394C52-0DF4-45FB-A469-4CE1018D90EE.jpeg
    779.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 81B58E62-E775-49EB-8EED-EC6A8CDE6A3C.jpeg
    81B58E62-E775-49EB-8EED-EC6A8CDE6A3C.jpeg
    744.5 KB · Views: 74
A Fox took both of my buff Orpington roosters last year. I have one ordered as well as a dozen lavender Orpington hatching eggs, so I hope to add a few more this year.
Oh no that’s so sad!!! :hit

Lavender Orpingtons are amazing!!! That’s what Jack is haha

Back
Top Bottom