Thank you, people say that Orpingtons make the friendliest Roosters, They do make great Roosters but I find my Buckeye is just a little bit friendlier and a better pet than my Orpington.
He is also on the bottom of the hierarchy because of his nature.
Jack is still a bit skittish but once I catch him he seems to like being held haha

I would like to try Buckeyes someday. They seem like a good breed.

I can’t wait to see how big he gets!!! He was around 7 lbs at 4 months old. :eek: he’s now 5 months and he’s gotten a little bit bigger, filled in some, but I know he still has a long way to go. I’m excited to see just how big he ends up haha
I was also excited like you over the same things. A guy I work with came over to get some eggs for his incubator and seen my Lavender Orpington Roo and couldn't believe how big he was, he used to have one but said his wasn't nearly as big as mine. I am kind of proud of him and my Buckeye especially for being hatchery birds. I think they are some fine looking Roosters.

I was also excited like you over the same things. A guy I work with came over to get some eggs for his incubator and seen my Lavender Orpington Roo and couldn't believe how big he was, he used to have one but said his wasn't nearly as big as mine. I am kind of proud of him and my Buckeye especially for being hatchery birds. I think they are some fine looking Roosters.
Oh wow maybe he’s just a giant 😂🤣 but yeah I would be too!! They are gorgeous!!!

Jack is still a bit skittish but once I catch him he seems to like being held haha

I would like to try Buckeyes someday. They seem like a good breed.
My Orpington Roo will also calm down once I catch him ( I have to be tricky ) he will even fall asleep if I hold him long enough. My Buckeye is easy to pick up. I have read that Buckeyes can make real good pets and they don't feather peck like other breeds. I did notice that the hens feathers don't shine as much as my Roo. My Buckeye Roosters feathers are amazingly beautiful when the sun hits him.

That sounds like a good plan!!! Bet you will get some huge birds hahah

I really wish one of my hens would go broody!!! But might fire up the incubator haha

And it sounds like you have a really nice flock!!! :love

I have Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, Delaware, White Leghorn, Partridge Rock, and of course Jack the Lavender Orpington. Oh and the Welsummer too.
Oh, forgot I also have speckled Sussex, I noticed they lay the smallest egg in my flock. What about yours? I was supposed to get 4 speckled Sussex and 4 welsummers but they messed up my order and I got 8 Sussex instead. Do you have any pictures of your Welsummer eggs, I would love to see what they look like. And how does your leghorn get along with the gentler breed in your flock, I was thinking about some day getting a white egg layer but I don't want any breeds that will pick on my other breeds.

Thank you!!! I think he is too!! :love

Mine came from Meyer Hatchery. I actually hatched him myself in November haha first ever hatch. Got 8 boys out of 9 chicks though :eek: :th

All various breeds.

Gave away 4 of the boys last month, lost 2 to predators, just had to put my Welsummer cockerel down this week, and still have Jack and his Welsummer girlfriend 😂

I have a bunch of other birds too and they’re all from Meyer but I just got more birds last week from Ideal haha
I gave away some of my chicks also. I ordered extra because people told me I would be lucky if they all lived. Well they all lived, I kept 33 and gave 9 away. I would like to some day order some English Orpington Hatching eggs but that would be in the distant future when I need to add to my flock. I can handle about 50 birds with my set up. I am going to give away or sell really cheap most of the chicks I hatch. I'll keep them until I know which are Rooster and Hens. I plan on keeping 6 hens, giving away the Roosters and selling the extra hens for a dollar.

So sorry I never replied. :oops:

My Orpington Roo will also calm down once I catch him ( I have to be tricky ) he will even fall asleep if I hold him long enough. My Buckeye is easy to pick up. I have read that Buckeyes can make real good pets and they don't feather peck like other breeds. I did notice that the hens feathers don't shine as much as my Roo. My Buckeye Roosters feathers are amazingly beautiful when the sun hits him.
Awwww that’s adorable haha mine also plays hard to get but really loves it 😂🤣

I need to try some Buckeyes!!! Haha they truly do sound amazing.
I gave away some of my chicks also. I ordered extra because people told me I would be lucky if they all lived. Well they all lived, I kept 33 and gave 9 away. I would like to some day order some English Orpington Hatching eggs but that would be in the distant future when I need to add to my flock. I can handle about 50 birds with my set up. I am going to give away or sell really cheap most of the chicks I hatch. I'll keep them until I know which are Rooster and Hens. I plan on keeping 6 hens, giving away the Roosters and selling the extra hens for a dollar.
Oh wow that’s a lot of birds!! Haha I thought I had a lot at 22 :lau :th

Oh, forgot I also have speckled Sussex, I noticed they lay the smallest egg in my flock. What about yours? I was supposed to get 4 speckled Sussex and 4 welsummers but they messed up my order and I got 8 Sussex instead. Do you have any pictures of your Welsummer eggs, I would love to see what they look like. And how does your leghorn get along with the gentler breed in your flock, I was thinking about some day getting a white egg layer but I don't want any breeds that will pick on my other breeds.
I’m not sure what size mine lays because I have a lot of brown layers but yes, I do think she lays pretty small eggs! Haha and I have several teeny tiny eggs that I don’t think are her but maybe. I think those ones might be from my old girls but idk. Have 2-3 of them so different birds.

And oh no!! That stinks!! Though Sussex are cool too and I can see how the mixup happened since they look so similar as chicks haha did you tell them?? I don’t think she is laying yet but I’m not really sure. If/when she does though I’ll get pictures!! Maybe separate her so it’s for sure her egg haha

My Leghorn is great!! She is a bit bold and stood right up to the adults at like a week old :lau but she’s not mean at all haha just bold, confident, and very friendly and curious. She’s so inquisitive and curious about everything haha they say they’re supposed to be flighty but mine isn’t at all and is one of my favorites. She also lays huge white eggs every single day so that’s a plus!

She occasionally gives my new birds a little bit of a hard time currently but she’s not terrible about it and I’m sure she will settle down. They’re still pretty new. She’s perfectly friendly to the other hens. :)

Also I think them being the new ones as opposed to the other way around will help.

One of my hens is a horrendous bully to the new birds and even one of her sisters :hit :mad:

But she’s not a leghorn haha

The leghorn is great!!!

I have several lavendar orpingtons and I love them. Currently the ones I have are 15 weeks and the 2 hens are decent size and starting to calm down and let me touch them and I have 4 large roosters, only one crows that I have with the hens, and 1 that is on the smaller side. The roosters seem more skittish and females calm as they are getting older. Not sure when the females begin to lay though

I’m not sure what size mine lays because I have a lot of brown layers but yes, I do think she lays pretty small eggs! Haha and I have several teeny tiny eggs that I don’t think are her but maybe. I think those ones might be from my old girls but idk. Have 2-3 of them so different birds.

And oh no!! That stinks!! Though Sussex are cool too and I can see how the mixup happened since they look so similar as chicks haha did you tell them?? I don’t think she is laying yet but I’m not really sure. If/when she does though I’ll get pictures!! Maybe separate her so it’s for sure her egg haha

My Leghorn is great!! She is a bit bold and stood right up to the adults at like a week old :lau but she’s not mean at all haha just bold, confident, and very friendly and curious. She’s so inquisitive and curious about everything haha they say they’re supposed to be flighty but mine isn’t at all and is one of my favorites. She also lays huge white eggs every single day so that’s a plus!

She occasionally gives my new birds a little bit of a hard time currently but she’s not terrible about it and I’m sure she will settle down. They’re still pretty new. She’s perfectly friendly to the other hens. :)

Also I think them being the new ones as opposed to the other way around will help.

One of my hens is a horrendous bully to the new birds and even one of her sisters :hit :mad:

But she’s not a leghorn haha

The leghorn is great!!!
My speckled Sussex lay smallest egg next smallest would be my Buff Orpington then the Lavender Orpington, next the Buckeye, then the Easter Eggers and Dominique's, and the rest of my breeds are pretty close in size. (the Midnight Majesty Marans, Calico Princess and Black and White Jersey Giants)

Back
Top Bottom