Pallet coop question

kattperson

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 28, 2019
Central Texas
Hey y'all! I got a bunch of pallets to use the wood to build my coop (lumber prices are way too crazy right now!), and all the pallet coops I see just use the lumber itself. I'm curious if there are any downsides I'm missing to using the whole pallet as-is? It seems like an easy way to build the walls. Plus I live in Texas so I'm thinking the gaps (covered with hardware cloth) would be good, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something negative about using whole pallets!

Hey y'all! I got a bunch of pallets to use the wood to build my coop (lumber prices are way too crazy right now!), and all the pallet coops I see just use the lumber itself. I'm curious if there are any downsides I'm missing to using the whole pallet as-is? It seems like an easy way to build the walls. Plus I live in Texas so I'm thinking the gaps (covered with hardware cloth) would be good, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something negative about using whole pallets!
I prefer using whole pallets too .Their size determine what you can make. Hardware cloth is great to cover gaps. Unfortunately I live in WV so I cover the gaps with boards to cut down on drafts .

Hi! I live in the dfw area of tx. We built out first coop out of pallet wood and used whole pallets for the floor and porch arrea. For winter time we wrapped it in Tyvek type sheeting to block drafts and used card board to cover open air windows. All my flock made just fine through our cold snaps this past winter without a problem. You can see the gaps.
IMG_20210702_134324935.jpg
IMG_20210702_135032299.jpg
This is it covered.
20220318_172438.jpg

I wish I had ran across this one when I was ready to make one myself. My own coop was harder to build because I was a green horn!(you learn as you go!)This one only takes 4 whole pallets but you could double it in size by adding an extra pallet to each side.
That looks more like a composting bin than a chicken coop.

I have used whole pallets for three different coops over the years and they work well. I live in a place where it is very windy, snow got in all of them cause we also didn't properly make it so snow would not get in while still having good ventilation, all the pallet coops We made would at least have a drift at one point or another during the winter, but I blame that on the builders which are me and my siblings and dad. we only made them a pallet tall I think it was too hard to make them any higher, so we had to crouch to be in the coops (which was annoying).
I don't have much advise, the only thing I can say is if you don't want predators to get to your birds make sure you put a good door on it.
My family never put doors on them and we rarely closed them up, I guess we didn't think that skunks would love the open invitation.
But we only ever lost about 4 chickens because of predators when we had the pallet coops and this is all over a course of 5 years. Psst (we also never put chicken wire around them either) pallets coops if done right won't necessarily need chicken wire though still prolly good to put it on anyways.
I myself am going to work on a pallet coop for my 8 ducks, oh and it is going to have a door and most likely chicken wire I am making sure of it...
Good luck with building your new pallet coop, or whatever kind of coop! I hope it works out just fine.
I think I gave good advise?

Welcome to BYC.

You're right that in your area you will want extra ventilation. Consider using an Open Air design -- basically a roofed wire box with a weather-shelter at the windward end.

If you use posts to support the roof you can probably use the whole pallets as infill without worrying about the structural problems inherent to use pallets to support loads. If necessary, you can put a tarp on the side that needs protection from storm winds during the worst of the winter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Thank y'all for the advice and help! I started building out of pallets this weekend, I'll need to post pics - I completely forgot to take any at all 🤣 Too busy trying to get screws through pallet wood!
highly recommend screws used for decking/outdoor structural. They are usually self tapping, and the star or square shaped heads make stripping less frequent. Something like these.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ivnd-X4cX2AhWYlIkEHX6eAhIQ9aACegQIARBK&adurl=

Also, pre-drilling holes with a drill bit is helpful to prevent your wood splitting. Happy building, and be sure to post pics when you can!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deck-Plus-...72aZ2MFG4BP7wPmht28aAp6dEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
I'll have to check out the star/square screws, I just got normal Phillips head deck screws, and I definitely stripped one or two. Some of the wood was also nearly impossible to pre-drill through, I've never had that problem before! Fresh battery in the drill and everything, but we powered through.

I see that everyone recommends an impact driver in the coop section - I've never used one, it seems like it would be more for nails than screws?
Some pallets can be very hard wood, and also older wood is often harder.
Takes practice to learn when a pilot hole might be best.

I must be old school, have no problem using philips head screws, just gotta keep your axis' aligned, use the right size, and avoid using cheap screws.

Back
Top Bottom