if there is a distance of 2 km from the sick birds you are safe.
There is no 2 km distance. Bc water fowl like ducks, herons and geese fly over our property now and then. Droppings can be dangerous. The bigger the area chickens walk around. The bigger the chance my chickens walk across the droppings and get contaminated.

And in spring there are always a few ducks who search for a spot to nest near the well /small stream behind our garden.

So it doesn’t feel safe at all at the moment to let them free range.
But I did extend the run with another 12m2. It’s not escape proof but they can scratch in grasses and herbs a bit that way for at least one hour each day.

There is no 2 km distance. Bc water fowl like ducks, herons and geese fly over our property now and then. Droppings can be dangerous. The bigger the area chickens walk around. The bigger the chance my chickens walk across the droppings and get contaminated.

And in spring there are always a few ducks who search for a spot to nest near the well /small stream behind our garden.

So it doesn’t feel safe at all at the moment to let them free range.
But I did extend the run with another 12m2. It’s not escape proof but they can scratch in grasses and herbs a bit that way for at least one hour each day.

if wild birds fly over your property is a problem. I can see wild birds flying when they migrate but luckily a few km from my property. btw I haven't seen them this year at all.

:frow
It’s been a while. How are you all doing?

I have my chickens fenced in now for a few weeks (after the bird flu came real close to where I live). I made a temporary fence with an old wobbly rabbit fence and a piece of hwc around the old veggie garden. This way the chickens can still scratch a few hours each day in weeds. It’s not solid and often one escapes.
But its been 3 weeks now and no new problems with the bird flu occurred . So time to let them free range again. :wee

I have some sad news too. My most beautiful chicken died suddenly last week. Koekie my Naine de Tournoises, was only 4 years years old.

For a few days I kept my breath a little, afraid that it was the bird flu. But her death was not very suspicious. The day before she seemed 100% fit. And no chickens had wet eyes or any noticable disorder. Now I presume she must have had a heart attack or a stroke.

Koekie is a sister of the other natural death I had last year. This breed or line got health problems after a short chicken life. I never had natural dead’s from my Dutch. Only deaths by predator. My Dutch are 7 and 8 now.

My young RI Red bantams lay well. About 5 eggs each, each week. We have more eggs than we can eat now. D.D. doesn’t mind.

:frow
It’s been a while. How are you all doing?
Hi! I'm doing okay I guess. Just set some Faverolles eggs yesterday
I have some sad news too. My most beautiful chicken died suddenly last week. Koekie my Naine de Tournoises, was only 4 years years old.
Sorry for your loss:hugs I lost my favourite hen, a Salmon Faverolles on friday. She was only 5 months old

Sorry for you’re loss @Silkie Princess . That is a very young age to die.
Thank you. I was pretty devastated, she was too young. A little sweetheart
Screenshot_20220409_131513.jpg

🇺🇦 @Silkie Princess , do you have many people from Ukraine coming to you’re country? I hear this mainly from Poland and they never mention Slovakia. Just wondering.
In the Netherlands we have mainly people taken with busses out of crowded centre’s in Poland. All together about 30.000 as we speak.

I am doing ok. Our family just got over covid. Wasn't bad at all, thankfully!
I am done hatching for the year. The chicks look really healthy and are growing very fast... well like any other chicks.
No bird flu around this area or at least not that close. A lot of areas up north are dropping the lockdown for the birds. That is very happy news.
I am sorry for the ones who lost some hens. So far I have been spared more bad news.

I did have a surprise in one of my hatching groups. White chicks! Well, dirty white. I talked to the breeder I got my birds from and he says it happens to him too sometimes. I guess those old old genes from way back when pop up and say hello! I will be selling them or butchering them. I don't think anyone would want to buy a white wheaten colored bird. I am selling those hens in that breeding groups as I don't know which one of the 3 caused the white chicks.

The last chicks moved into the coop today. It's so quiet at home. I miss them already!

sorry for your losses @BDutch and @Silkie Princess

feed prices are skyrocketing here. I gave away some hens to a friend whose house burnt recently, sold some chickens and plan to keep silkies + 2 leghorns for eggs. when my pekin ducks start laying I might give those leghorns to a friend as well. I will take back a pair of bronze turkeys from my neighbors as they will move soon. I have 6 goslings as well. by the end of week I should get 2 bronze turkey poults (male will be for meat) and 12 meat chickens (red bro, 1 mo) that will be butchered in 2 months. unfortunately no more fancy breeds for pleasure at the moment. if I manage to sell my house and move to my new place I might get a few egyptian fayoumis and pita pinta asturiana. they are good foragers and can find a lot of food themselves.

Back
Top Bottom