Sounds like a real business. Is it for several breeding programs?

sort of. and to enjoy chickens. I wanted more breeds but probably will end up with just a few.

btw, have you ever butchered your dutch bantams? a friend of mine had lunch at friends and ate "rabbit" as they first told him. he says it was super tasty and then they laughed. the meat was from 4-5 mo dutch bantam cockerels. they fried them in a pan.

And do please tell which breeds you're considering keeping, if you currently have any. I love hearing about other people's breed preferences😆

silkies, dutch bantam, ayam chemani, australorp, egyptian fayoumi, lakedanzi, araucana, black shoulder peafowl, bourbon red turkeys and getting asturian pita pinta and maybe british araucana (plus waterfowl).

silkies, dutch bantam, ayam chemani, australorp, egyptian fayoumi, lakedanzi, araucana, black shoulder peafowl, bourbon red turkeys and getting asturian pita pinta and maybe british araucana (plus waterfowl).

Wow! Where did you find the pita pinta and the Dutch bantams? One thing I know for sure, your coops are going to be beautiful filled with all these birds!

sort of. and to enjoy chickens. I wanted more breeds but probably will end up with just a few.

btw, have you ever butchered your dutch bantams? a friend of mine had lunch at friends and ate "rabbit" as they first told him. he says it was super tasty and then they laughed. the meat was from 4-5 mo dutch bantam cockerels. they fried them in a pan.
No, I don't slaughter my funny chicken creatures. Nor any other bird or mammal. I eat hardly any meat . No more than maybe 250 grams organic meat (cow) a month.

The old Duchies (8 and 9 yo) are still around. Lay eggs in the season. 2 black Dutch together with a third hen (mix breed) became mother of the 11 hatchery egg I bought. Did a great job together and hatched 9 chicks.

But soon I do have probably 4 young cockerels. I try to give them to people who like to breed with the breeds I have or who bought laying hens for eggs (sexed laying hybrids) and like to have a nice looking small rooster who are no threat because they are just too little for that. The Dutch and other bantam roosters I had where great alarm clocks, so I couldn't keep them, having neighbors living too close.

Wow! Where did you find the pita pinta and the Dutch bantams? One thing I know for sure, your coops are going to be beautiful filled with all these birds!

pita pinta are from thomas imvrou, katerini and dutch bantam were imported by a dutch girl living in greece. a friend of mine found them.

No, I don't slaughter my funny chicken creatures. Nor any other bird or mammal. I eat hardly any meat . No more than maybe 250 grams organic meat (cow) a month.

The old Duchies (8 and 9 yo) are still around. Lay eggs in the season. 2 black Dutch together with a third hen (mix breed) became mother of the 11 hatchery egg I bought. Did a great job together and hatched 9 chicks.

But soon I do have probably 4 young cockerels. I try to give them to people who like to breed with the breeds I have or who bought laying hens for eggs (sexed laying hybrids) and like to have a nice looking small rooster who are no threat because they are just too little for that. The Dutch and other bantam roosters I had where great alarm clocks, so I couldn't keep them, having neighbors living too close.

I hatched a lot of cockerels. did you hatch mostly cockerels as well?

I hatched a lot of cockerels. did you hatch mostly cockerels as well?
This spring I had 5 Dutch hatching eggs in different colours. 4 chicks hatched. The silver and yellow partridge are cockerels. The blue partridge (not sure if she is a real or a so called dirty blue) is a pullet. I’m not sure yet about the pile (white partridge) but suspect she’s a girl.

The first year I had my own hatching eggs having a young rooster. 6 chicks survived. 3 female, 3 male. Not much for statistics but so far it seems to be 50% .

The other years I had chicks was from hatching eggs of other bantam breeds. This year I have Dutch, Vorwerk 2f 1m and Sussex 1f 1m. All bantams.
Ah, I see
If you ever come to the Netherlands in April or Mai, its easy to buy Dutch hatching eggs. I bought the eggs from a guy who has Dutch bantams in 6 different colors. I paid 5 euro for 5 eggs.

Some breeders send eggs by mail. But the hatching (rate) is less certain. successful.

This spring I had 5 Dutch hatching eggs in different colours. 4 chicks hatched. The silver and yellow partridge are cockerels. The blue partridge (not sure if she is a real or a so called dirty blue) is a pullet. I’m not sure yet about the pile (white partridge) but suspect she’s a girl.

The first year I had my own hatching eggs having a young rooster. 6 chicks survived. 3 female, 3 male. Not much for statistics but so far it seems to be 50% .

The other years I had chicks was from hatching eggs of other bantam breeds. This year I have Dutch, Vorwerk 2f 1m and Sussex 1f 1m. All bantams.

If you ever come to the Netherlands in April or Mai, its easy to buy Dutch hatching eggs. I bought the eggs from a guy who has Dutch bantams in 6 different colors. I paid 5 euro for 5 eggs.

Some breeders send eggs by mail. But the hatching (rate) is less certain. successful.

Can't do shipped eggs for multiple reasons. First off I don't have an incubator, and my rare broodies aren't too reliable, nor can the brood many eggs. Then of course we have the shipping problems themselves. But if I ever get a bator, the first thing I'll set is some eggs from my flock just so I can get some experience, and the second is aseel eggs from a breeder @maceleneo found!

Back
Top Bottom