what breed? what country are you from?

Slovenian brown. I am in Ireland.
Slovenian brown is an offshoot from RIR in the 70's it has been isolated and bred purely with utility in mind - ie with production and vigor as the main section criteria rather than colour and feather uniformity. they are used by PRC as parent stock for a hybrid not dissimilar to lohman browns etc.

Interesting! Definitely keep us updated

when you get the eggs, and as the birds grow up

I tried searching for some photos, with no luck

yes we will definitely update our progress and results here. we have a small pastured laying flock, and we're hoping this breed will help us break free from relying on hybrids. we currently use Lohmann browns.

we expect to see a drop in production of about 5% per bird using this breed (305 eggs per year as opposed to 320), but feed efficiency is comparable. with the added benefit of fattening the unused cocks for the freezer.

Not sure yet how fattening up the cockerels will go as they are obviously an egg laying breed, but we will trial it in the first year. certainly don't expect to make Cornish cross weights.

@chickengr So have you moved to geese and ducks now? How about chicken? Where is @BDutch ?
Last year I had a serious car accident but praise God - it was a miracle I survived, God really saved me (if you only hear how I survived you will have no doubt it was God). I spent months in the hospital and after that home bed-bound, then on a wheelchair.. Now I can walk, still on crutches but I am getting better. So in my absence I lost all my 200-birds flock. Only a pair of peacocks survived. Now I am starting to grow my flock from scratch.

Soon I am looking for hatching eggs again from some interesting breeds... I bought eggs from a Czech company, they have varieties of hybrids all called "Czech Dominant" so I was wondering if anybody has heard of them.

I am looking for eggs from Leghorn BREED, NOT Leghorn hybrids as all we have in Bulgaria are white hybrids (like DeKalb for instance) which they call Leghorns...

@chickengr So have you moved to geese and ducks now? How about chicken? Where is @BDutch ?
Last year I had a serious car accident but praise God - it was a miracle I survived, God really saved me (if you only hear how I survived you will have no doubt it was God). I spent months in the hospital and after that home bed-bound, then on a wheelchair.. Now I can walk, still on crutches but I am getting better. So in my absence I lost all my 200-birds flock. Only a pair of peacocks survived. Now I am starting to grow my flock from scratch.

Soon I am looking for hatching eggs again from some interesting breeds... I bought eggs from a Czech company, they have varieties of hybrids all called "Czech Dominant" so I was wondering if anybody has heard of them.

I am looking for eggs from Leghorn BREED, NOT Leghorn hybrids as all we have in Bulgaria are white hybrids (like DeKalb for instance) which they call Leghorns...

glad you are reborn. get well soon.

I had czech dominant green layers. they were great birds. pure leghorns are hard to find.

besides geese and ducks I have chickens (silkies, egyptian fayoumis, duch bantam, pita pinta and some hybrid layers), pheasants (golden yellow, lady amherst), chukar partridges, quails and black shoulder peacocks.

Back
Top Bottom