People who Partake in Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth?

I used DE for dust bath areas. Stupid idea, the birds came down with respiratory problems. Some I could cure, others weren't so lucky.:(
Oh My! I have not added any as of yet to their dusting area and now I don't think I will. Last thing I want to do is make my feather babies sick. Thanks for sharing. I'm defiantly wondering now if people who take this know the dangers? Or do they think the benefits outweigh the possible bad effects it can have on them.😕

Oh My! I have not added any as of yet to their dusting area and now I don't think I will. Last thing I want to do is make my feather babies sick. Thanks for sharing. I'm defiantly wondering now if people who take this know the dangers? Or do they think the benefits outweigh the possible bad effects it can have on them.😕
I'm not sure if DE is even good (in any way) for chickens. Was BAD for my ladies. :(

It gave them respiratory problems because they breathed it. DE is famous for its sharp microscopic particles which, when dry, can reputedly slice open the tender bellies of slugs before they can make their way to your cukes. These sharp particles can also damage respiratory passages. Wet (unless there happen to be toxic contaminants in it) it's probably harmless--also completely ineffectual (unless you're a believer in homeopathics--in which the more minute the dose, the more powerful the theraputic effect--if you buy into that sort of thing.)

Only thing I use DE for, is ant control, and my pool filter.
Pool filter DE is usually not Food Grade, which kind are you using?
DE is also used in other filter applications.

I did some digging around on the government site, & Diatomaceous earth has been classified as a Group 3 Carcinogen.
Link, please?

Pool filter DE is usually not Food Grade, which kind are you using?
DE is also used in other filter applications.

Link, please?

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stan...as been tested,the research conducted to date.

"Diatomaceous earth has been tested as a whole and evaluated as a Group 3 carcinogen by IARC. A Group 3 listing indicates that diatomaceous earth is not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans, since definitive conclusions cannot be drawn from the research conducted to date. Therefore, there is no requirement under the HCS to state a definitive finding of carcinogenicity on the label or MSDS for diatomaceous earth products containing less that 1% crystalline silica. However, the principle of "one positive study" applies here as well, and the results of any study conducted in accordance with scientific principles which shows statistical significance of carcinogenicity resulting from exposures to this product must be included for discussion on the MSDS. This enforcement policy does not apply to products containing greater than 1% crystalline silica, and cancels and supersedes all prior interpretations on this issue."

Back
Top Bottom