Pet Ducks Dumped in Neighborhood Pond, Help?

Free range or backyard/pen?

• Total voters
Pics
The boys might work out if they can’t see the females . Females always do fine together. I just don’t know if that would be ideal for you all. You don’t think Fergus would like to have a few more females?

The boys might work out if they can’t see the females . Females always do fine together. I just don’t know if that would be ideal for you all. You don’t think Fergus would like to have a few more females?

I'm sure Fergus would love more females, i guess I worried myself by reading to many BYC threads.

My main concern is that Fergus will still prefer Downy over the other females, and my second concern is what if the ancona or WH are to small for the pekin breed?

I don't think Downy and Fergus are jumbo pekins, but would a medium size breed like anconas and WHs be okay mating with a large breed like a pekin?

Fergus also has one wing shorter then the other wing, would that cause him to be less aggressive while matting?

And I guess another reason we were thinking of a buddy system was because the WH is turning out to be super pretty, and of course everyone in the house is favoring that duckling.

I personally like the anconas lol

Anyways snice everyone likes the little WH, I told them you better hope it's a girl and they asked me if we could keep one male duckling, one female. I told them no, unless we want to get a ton of females for both drakes.

So that's what made me come up with the idea of sperate pens/housing, buddy system.

But honestly, I wouldn't want to sperate Downy and Fergus anyway as they have been together their whole lives.

So let's just hope the Welsh Harlequin turns out to be a girl.

Sorry for all of the questions, I know these are concerns I dont need to worry about until later on but I just tend to worry.

It’s a lot to think about and your just showing you care and want this to work. Best thing to do now is enjoy those babies won’t be long before you’ll know female / drake then you’ll have some decision to make. For now just try to enjoy.

Hey everyone,

All the babies are doing fantastic, though i did have a quick question.

When can the babies be with Downy and Fergus without separation? They are currently at the end of their seventh week, going to be eight weeks in a few days.

Only problem I see is Fergus being hormonal he may try and mate with the young ones. I’d separate the pen so the ducklings are on one side the adults on the other you may have to keep bringing them in at night or putting another house in for them but you don’t want Fergus to be able to injure one by mating. You want to make a meet and greet area any way. More pics please hearing quacks yet?

Only problem I see is Fergus being hormonal he may try and mate with the young ones. I’d separate the pen so the ducklings are on one side the adults on the other you may have to keep bringing them in at night or putting another house in for them but you don’t want Fergus to be able to injure one by mating. You want to make a meet and greet area any way. More pics please hearing quacks yet?
Yes, we are getting some quacks at least we think we are.
We got some video picking up each one individually today.

Ducking #1

Duckling #2

Duckling #3

Duckling #4 &#5

Duckling #6

It might be to early to say, but I think we have three females and three males.

But besides that, they all seem healthy and happy.

@Miss Lydia @Cayuga momma

Sorry i haven't posted in a while, the little babies are nearly at the end of their eight week. Here are some pictures taken a few days ago, everyone is becoming big and loud.
20190429_105644.jpg
20190429_105700.jpg
20190429_105720.jpg
20190429_105721.jpg
20190429_105809.jpg
20190429_105914.jpg
20190429_105644.jpg
20190429_110012.jpg
20190429_110020.jpg
20190429_110050.jpg
20190429_110104.jpg
20190429_110104.jpg