Pet Ducks Dumped in Neighborhood Pond, Help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SansDuck, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Free range

15.7%
  2. Backyard/pen

84.3%
  1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I have a Muscovy drake probably 12lbs. He mates with Muscovy females any where from 4-5 lbs girls no problems. Just try and have the pool because it's easier on the girls if water is involved. You just don't want more than one drake trying to mate with a duck in the water they can drown her.

2. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡Ducks♡, enough said.

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    go with your gut. if you think She is too little then don't let him mate her. Give her a few months to grow.

3. SansDuck

SansDuck Chirping

Feb 13, 2019
    @Miss Lydia @Cayuga momma @Texag87 @learycow

I think it's time to rehome the drakes, I'm starting to notice curled feathers and no more real voice changes.

Does everyone think our ancona boys will have a good chance at finding a decent home? I'm not to worried about Harley.

They both have very beautiful green feathers and purple feathers mixed in with their black feathers. Im kinda hoping they beautiful enough to be used for breeding or pets.

Drake #1
    20190615_162026.jpg 20190615_162029.jpg 20190615_162033.jpg
    You can see his purple feathers, if you zoom in.
    20190615_162055.jpg
    Drake #1 was getting grumpy, so we only got a few good pictures of his beautiful green and purple feathers.

Drake #2
    20190615_162304.jpg
    View attachment 1814725 20190615_162307.jpg 20190615_162309.jpg 20190615_162322.jpg 20190615_162334.jpg 20190615_162335.jpg 20190615_162406.jpg

If anyone knows someone who's needs a few ancona drakes for breeding or pet purposes, please let them know I have a few drakes that are ready for a good home.

KDOGG331, Miss Lydia and Texag87 like this.
  4. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    I wish you luck rehoming the drakes.

SansDuck likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

They are gorgeous and I would think you'd be able to find them homes I'd go to your state thread at "where am I where are you" go to BUY sell trade here on BYC scroll down past duck forum. also they have a rehoming thread in the same area. Last but not least craigslist. How many drakes did ya'll end up with? @SansDuck

6. SansDuck

SansDuck Chirping

Feb 13, 2019
    Thank you for the tip, I'll be sure to post in the BYC rehoming thread. Do you think it's a good idea to post a flyer up at TSC?

It's funny you ask Miss Lydia, we ended up with exactly three boys, and three girls. Including Downy and Fergus, its four boys and four girls.

It's a shame that ducks dont pair up and mate for life or we would have the perfect number of ducks to drakes lol

Oh yeah, a little update on Fergus and Downy, we ended up separating Downy from Fergus and putting her with the babies.

Besides missing feathers on her head, she was neglecting to bath herself. She wouldnt dare step into the pool, so her white feathers became dirty. Once she was separated, she seemed to perk right up. She bathed herself and actually walks around and does stuff, before she would sit in one spot and not move for the whole day.

She did establish a bit of a pecking order with the younger ducks in the begaining, but now everyone seems chill with each other. Though she does get first dibs on the food, and clean pool lol

One day she seemed to miss Fergus? Or at least maybe wanted to mate, she was by his side of the fence and bobbing her head up and down while staring at Fergus, Fergus was head bobbing too.

I think I've asked this question in the past, but does ducks matting season slow down at all throughout the year? Or are Drakes just horny 365 days out of the year?

One last question, any good tips for flies?
    We given the ducks more space so less poo build up, we change water buckets everyday, and kiddie pools get change every few days, the water sources are kept separate from their food, and we've swapped their litter from pine shavings to sand.
    We also use fly strips, diatomaceous earth,
    and vanilla car air fresheners to help with the problem.

The above has all helped some, but there still seems to be more flies then normal.

I know once we can rehome the drakes the flies will get better, but are there any other good tips we are missing out on?

I've heard fans help, but not sure on how much electric that uses everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: