Pet Ducks Dumped in Neighborhood Pond, Help?

Free range or backyard/pen?

• Total voters
Pics
@Cayuga momma

You are right about the one duckling, Cackle Hatchery has a 3 duckling minimum to ship.
I guess I was still worried about three dying, or getting sick in the mail.
Plus with the added $20 small order fee, seemed like a big risk to take.

I guess I feel regretful because I had other options, like I could of driven to cackle hatchery to pick up the ducklings.
I wouldnt have to pay the small order fee, and shipping if its pick up.
But Cackle Hatchery would of been a 3hr round trip, not bad but still a bit of a drive.

I only had to drive 30 mins for these little fluff balls, and I paid $4 per duckling.
Also each ancona duckling has very nice markings, I like when they have a lot of spots.

They are so freaking cute and tiny, I know it wont last long. I will enjoy them, it's only been a day snice we got them and I guess I'm just having buyers regret.

@Miss Lydia

I had a feeling that ancona and WH were popular in the duck world, that is good to know.
Tbh we are hoping that one of the ancona duckling, and the WH turns out to be female.
Four ducks isn't to many, right? Lol

We really should sperate them for right now, Downy is a smart girl though.
When Downy doesnt want to mate with Fergus she'll run out of the pool, and Fergus wont chase after her. I think he enjoys pool sex to much.
And if Downy does decide to mate with Fergus, she will swim to the edge of the pool and rest her bill on the side so he cant completely submerge her beak.

But what really freaks me out, is once Fergus run out of feathers to grab on he will use Downys eyes.

I would feel absolutely guilty if Downy lost an eye, because Fergus overmated her.

Pictures will be coming soon of the babies, also I forgot to mention they are almost two weeks old.

He could def injure her eyes there was not long ago that had a duck with serious eye injury because of their drake. He’ll eventually pull all the feathers and next her neck will be raw and bleeding. Eventually you’ll have other females and hopefully things will be better. Right now Downy is getting to much attention from Fergus. Can’t wait to see your new babies.

He could def injure her eyes there was not long ago that had a duck with serious eye injury because of their drake. He’ll eventually pull all the feathers and next her neck will be raw and bleeding. Eventually you’ll have other females and hopefully things will be better. Right now Downy is getting to much attention from Fergus. Can’t wait to see your new babies.

I hope you are right about the other females, I'm really hoping for a girl.

I'm just a little worried.

When I searched BYC about "stright run" ducks and chicks.
You'll get answers like "dont waste your money" or "I've order SR once and got all males" and that some hatcheries will give you more males on purpose because of thier excess stock.

As a recently new duck owner who just purchased SR, it doesnt give you much hope.

I know it luck of the draw, and that some people get more females then males when ordering SR. But it still has me worried.

But you got these from a breeder right. So not like a hatchery of course there will be drakes but you’ll also have females too. Just enjoy those little ones right now and try not to worry.

Well I'm not sure if they were breeders...
They were young(early 20s), and said their mom gave them the ducks. Besides the ducks they also had around 100 chicks for sale, they were all breeds that cackle hatchery offered.
Cackle hatchery does those huge mystery box sales, you pay $50-$100 (depending on how many chicks/ducks you want) and they give a huge assortment/variety of what they have on stock.
The only reason I have a huge feeling that they came from cackle.
They brought the ducklings in a box that had a decorative nest in it, I know that crackle hatchery uses decorative nest in their orders.
I had watch some of Cackles YouTube videos and I thought it was adorable they packed them in a nest.
But you are absolutely right, I need to just enjoy the little sweeties.

Sorry these are not the best pics, ducklings are not good models.

20190314_184217.jpg
20190314_184219.jpg
20190314_184215.jpg

And now onto the duck butts;

All the ducklings besides one, has a butt like this duckling.
20190314_185737.jpg

One duckling has a different butt, and also they are smallest duckling outta of the whole group.
20190314_185725.jpg

The person said they were almost two weeks old, so I assume they are the same age but maybe the smallest one is younger? Or maybe the runt?

Also I tried taking a picture of the HW by itself, but they didnt want to sit in my palm like the other two ducklings. I'll try too take a picture of it by itself later

Well I'm not sure if they were breeders...
They were young(early 20s), and said their mom gave them the ducks. Besides the ducks they also had around 100 chicks for sale, they were all breeds that cackle hatchery offered.
Cackle hatchery does those huge mystery box sales, you pay $50-$100 (depending on how many chicks/ducks you want) and they give a huge assortment/variety of what they have on stock.
The only reason I have a huge feeling that they came from cackle.
They brought the ducklings in a box that had a decorative nest in it, I know that crackle hatchery uses decorative nest in their orders.
I had watch some of Cackles YouTube videos and I thought it was adorable they packed them in a nest.
But you are absolutely right, I need to just enjoy the little sweeties.

Sorry these are not the best pics, ducklings are not good models.

View attachment 1702026 View attachment 1702030 View attachment 1702037

And now onto the duck butts;

All the ducklings besides one, has a butt like this duckling.
View attachment 1702041

One duckling has a different butt, and also they are smallest duckling outta of the whole group.
View attachment 1702044
The person said they were almost two weeks old, so I assume they are the same age but maybe the smallest one is younger? Or maybe the runt?

Also I tried taking a picture of the HW by itself, but they didnt want to sit in my palm like the other two ducklings. I'll try too take a picture of it by itself later
They are very adorable :love

I haven’t ever noticed that before with any duckling I have had. They sure are precious, maybe a week old. I don’t know what to tell you about the origins of the ducklings but sounds like you taking them was the best thing that could have happened to them.

Wouldnt it be funny if the duckling with the different butt, ended up being the only female outta the group? For being so tiny, they peep a lot louder then the other ducklings too. Very good set of lungs lol.

Thank you so much for the compliment, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom