pets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by seminolewind, Sep 8, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I am waiting for my chicks this week. I think of them as pets with an added bonus of eggs. I was wondering how many people on this board have their chickens as pets.
    It's funny, my last two roosters kind of fended for themselves, I took care of them, and they seemed to be smart enough to stay out of trouble. But now I am waiting for some girls, (no roosters) and I am feeling more protective with them, and want to have a coop, and keep them safe, etc. My rooster lives next door now with a wife LOL. I guess he's not "my" rooster.
    However, the chickens will be pets, just as the rooster was. Karen

2. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    yeah.. at first i wanted mine just for eggs, and now im so attached. their like kids

3. greenacre

greenacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2007
    South Eastern Michigan
    My husband, son and 1 daughter are allergic to dogs and cats. Do you know anybody that is allergic to chickens??? No...., so we figured, that would be a PERFECT pet along with the added bonus of fresh eggs. We had no idea it would be this fun!!! [​IMG]

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    There are LOTS of folk with chickens as pets - they're really cute, and take all the attention my little kids dish out!

I have only had mine a month and I LOVE them! They're so sweet, like little kids only you don't have to get up at night!!

Eggs will be FANTASTIC! [​IMG]

5. beameuplord

beameuplord Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2007
    Any animal I have is a pet. My silkies were given to me and I hand raised them. Now the little Roo thinks I'm his momma. He crows for me when I go indoors and flirts with me like I'm one of his hens. I only have three chicks and I really don't care if I have eggs or not. I am hopeful that I will have peeps some day though.

TJ

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I love my babies!!! They are my pets....I have 7 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Banty rooster...I absolutly LOVE them. I couldn't imagine having them for any other reason but to love and cuddle them!! I mean, the eggs are GREAT, so I am enjoying them!!...They just started laying about 2 weeks ago!!! I am such a proud Momma!!! they are about 22 weeks now.

My kids love them just as much as I do!!! I am very protective over them...They are a spoiled little flock!!

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I consider mine as pets with benefits. [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have a few "pet" chickens but most of mine are for production.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Guilty!!!
    I'm also allergic to furry things and their feathers don't seem to bother me.
    They are really great pets. And you don't have to walk them when it's lousy outside.

10. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    The hens will be my pets, and the roos will be the "Really friendly, sometimes long-term dinner company".. *laughs*

I realize we'll probably eat some of them, so I'm trying to be realistic about it, but I am absolutely attached to my eggs already and can't wait to love on them.

I figure even the boys can be loved before we eat them..

(We'll see how long that lasts once it's actually time to cull them... [​IMG] [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by