PHOTO - POORLY LEG

DrVix2021

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
Hi there,

One of my ducks is limping, I’ve examined her… attempted to apply my skills as a doctor unsuccessfully!! The only thing I can see but I don’t know whether is something to worry about is perhaps she’s stood on something. I’ve attacked photo of right and left foot for comparison. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 120A5D2B-159F-48DB-A881-37D8012EED76.jpeg
    120A5D2B-159F-48DB-A881-37D8012EED76.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 0D7AE8E1-EB02-4499-A27C-FEC656360989.jpeg
    0D7AE8E1-EB02-4499-A27C-FEC656360989.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 5
It could be an injury from a thorn or a very early case of bumblefoot? I’m not an expert on duck issues or anything, but that’s just my guess. Don’t take my response too seriously, wait until someone more experienced with foot issues in ducks can help you out.

I agree it's an injury -- could be from a thorn for sure.

It's important to keep it clean and dry so that it doesn't develop into bumble foot.

I would use daily epsom salt soaks and then a non-stick, dry dressing taped on and covered ideally with a duck bootie. If you don't have one, you can use duct tape around the foot and webs to hold the dressing in place.

At this stage it should not need any intervention opening the wound, but if it becomes bigger and especially if it becomes hot and swollen, that would indicate the presence of infection. Then follow the guidance on bumblefoot:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/another-bumblefoot-question.1511600/

Thank you both, I found this photo of bumblefoot…looks pretty much the same! So yup, think it’s early bumblefoot. She had a lovely warm bath with her friend (who was very pleased to be invited), then they had a snuggle on the underfloor heating so her foot got nice and dry. I’ve got some vet tape and spray coming from Amazon today so hopefully we can get on top of it early. She isn’t very happy about her pen restriction today!! Thanks for replying, they’re our first ducks and not even one yet so still a big learning curve!! 🤍🦆

Attachments

• E437B9BE-B54E-4631-B39E-C7E7D52D00F8.jpeg
    E437B9BE-B54E-4631-B39E-C7E7D52D00F8.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 5
I’ve got some vet tape and spray coming from Amazon today so hopefully we can get on top of it early. ... Thanks for replying, they’re our first ducks and not even one yet so still a big learning curve!! 🤍🦆

@DrVix2021
I didn't have a first aid kit for children -- just a few items bought as needed in my bathroom cabinet. However, I do have a ducky first aid kit as feed stores which offer veterinary supplies and items ordered from Amazon aren't available 24/7. Cuts and puncture wounds can escalate to bigger problems far faster than problems occur with wounds in children.

I had a steep learning curve last year -- not when first raising "day old" ducklings, but when I took in a rescued one- or two-day old duckling. I thought from the description of it running around a carpark and the photo, that it was just going to be another little duckling in the brooder. How wrong I was: by the time I got to the person who had found the duckling the day before, the duckling was lying motionless and doing nothing. Not walking not eating not drinking. And it was cold. I had to draw back on experience from more than 40 years ago working on a special care baby unit. The little mite revived, survived and grew into my largest muscovy. He's a great, soft, lump of fluff under his outer feathers and very wily.

Thank you both, I found this photo of bumblefoot…looks pretty much the same! So yup, think it’s early bumblefoot. She had a lovely warm bath with her friend (who was very pleased to be invited), then they had a snuggle on the underfloor heating so her foot got nice and dry. I’ve got some vet tape and spray coming from Amazon today so hopefully we can get on top of it early. She isn’t very happy about her pen restriction today!! Thanks for replying, they’re our first ducks and not even one yet so still a big learning curve!! 🤍🦆
Good luck! I hope she gets better soon. I’m glad you caught it early

Back
Top Bottom