Pigeon Bulletin Board?

I was looking on Poultry Show Central and found a breeder that shipped. Plus, they looked adorable. This is my first time with pigeons, but I have an extensive flock of exotic show chickens and ducks.
I'm thinking about building a aviary for them above one of my show bird's coops. Do you know how much room a pair or 2 of these 'bantam' tumblers would need based on other pigeon's needs?
I've also heard that you can let the pigeons fly free under observation. Do you do this? I want them to be able to get some exercise :D!
Thanks for replying to my question. No one seems to be able to help me, as pigeons don't seem as popular as other poultry species.

Most pigeon breeders do ship birds, that shouldn't be a problem. Tumbler pigeons are in the performance class so yes most fanciers do enjoy flying them to observe their acrobatic tumbling. With pigeons you have to accept that if you fly them there can be losses so don't fly one you can't lose.

Even though they are small they probably need a similar sized aviary if they don't all fly regularly, say 10 x 10 x 10 feet just for some exercise or because you may have to keep them in at times when a hawk is hanging around. You could probably house a few pairs in a small 4x 4 x 4 ft loft with an attached aviary but they will multiply!!! Best loft design depends on the climate where you live.

On youtube 680ecks has several vids about his experience with Portuguese Tumblers over a period of several years. You can see the type of housing he has.
Hope some of this helps.:D

This is just a quick question, what's the difference between homing pigeons and white release doves/pigeons? I always though white doves were just white homers but I've noticed my white birdshave very different face shape to standard homer, homers seem to have a more stream line face where as my whites have rounder, chubbier faces with smaller beaks. Any thoughts?
It is my understanding that white release doves are the same as white homers. They need to be able to return to their loft after ceremonial releases. The head and beak shape can vary somewhat bird to bird, family to family. Would you maybe post a foto of some of yours?:D

Hi again. Since Portuguese Tumblers are show/performance birds, I was hoping to allow them to fly under supervision. I've read that this is ok, but it's best to train them to come back to you when you leave, so that you can lock them back up so they stay safe.
How should I train them? Would treats work? If so, what treats are best for them?

I also just read that pigeons should be fed twice a day (?) at 15-20 minute intervals. Then you should take away their food. I'm planning on keeping mine in a coop with about 4 other chickens (Rosecomb bantams). How should I go about taking away their food if they can just fly down and eat the chicken's food? Is is really that important to take away the food? :hmm
I think it's good you are planning to fly your birds. It would be shame not to let them show their skills. It will involve some training and food management is key. Most people do not keep pigeons and chickens together as it is quite risky for the pigeons, but your birds your call and I wish you luck if you try it.

Training your tumblers will be similar to training for tipplers and homers and there is quite a bit of info on this on Youtube. You will want to get them used to flying for a period and returning promptly to eat without lingering around outside the safety of the loft. Training is started by keeping new birds in the loft for a period while training them to a whistle or a shaken can of seeds at the time of feeding. Yes, while training pigeons are fed once or twice a day. On days they fly they are fed after, calling them down with the whistle or shaking can. It is more difficult when all your birds are new and there are no older birds to show them the ropes. I think training these birds is challenging enough to be interesting. They are individuals and therefor they will surprise you. Be prepared to dedicate some time and research - it's worth it! It would be great if you could find a mentor locally, but meanwhile there's BYC. :D

Last edited:
Thanks! Would it be ok to keep them in the same coop as my chickens, but put up a screen inside the coop to separate them? I plan to build perches up the side of the dog kennel we use for our bird's fencing (see pic below). Wouldn't the pigeons be able to fly away from the chickens to protect themselves and still live together?
I plan to extend the fencing over the kennel panels to make the loft. The pigeons would be housed inside the coop here with their own door to go in and out. I only want around 2 pairs. Would this set up work? Sorry about the bad picture; it was all I could get. :)
You could create a loft for the pigeons inside your coop by separating them with a screen as you mention and giving them their own trap door. It looks like you would have room. Yes, theoretically pigeons can fly away from chickens but in praactice, especially newly fledged birds are on the floor and so are very vulnerable to aggression by the chickens. Some say they can live together but most fanciers view it as a tragedy waiting to happen. But a wire separation should be fine.
Sounds like you might get some birds soon?:D
Forgot to mention -peanuts raw unsalted are the best treats. ;)

Last edited:
:yesss: My set up will work! Thank you! I was starting to worry that it might not. It's my only option :D. I plan to get some newly paired birds as soon as they are available from this breeder we'r looking at. That might not be till the spring though :(. I'm trying to figure out the housing as soon as possible. I don't want to be the new owner that goes out to the mail one day and finds some pigeons in the mail with no house for them. I've had that happen before, but with chickens. Had to drive for almost an hour and a half one day to get a coop off Craigslist to keep my new birds in :D.
I'm that way too, I want the bird house before the birds! lol I started the loft in July and it has taken so long to finish, I don't know if I will find 'squeakers'(young birds) before spring. :(
Keep us posted on your progress.:D

This is what I use as my computer monitor Wallpaper. It is same place as my #191 posting, but probably about 40 years earlier. DD found the negative online (Ebay) from someone somewhere in Europe. Sent to lab to have developed as well as made into a digital copy.
View attachment 1269451
Wow! where is that??:eek:

Back
Top Bottom