Plastic Wrapping Runs

We don't have to deal with snow here ;) but we do get ALOT of rain :rolleyes: and warm humid days that intermingle alot. Came up with this idea; open air Chicken House with shower curtains that I can close up when needed, rope for when the Trade Winds blow. January will be 3yrs & I have yet to replace shower curtains. View attachment 1595245
Love the open/close curtains!

I used some clear plastic (to allow sunlight through) and put it up the first 4 feet all the way around. The rest is open on the top foot or so (for ventilation). I attached it to the hardware cloth using black (UV resistant) zip ties. So far the wind has not ripped it off. I have a tarp over the run to keep rain/snow off chickens until I can put a steel roof on in the spring.

@aart explained how to do it very eloquently, only thing I can think to add to that would be to add a couple of pieces of duck tape on both sides of the plastic were your making the holes for the placing of the zip ties, it will help to keep the plastic from tearing in the wind.

Good idea with the duct tape. I will add this to next years winterization. Too late now this year. But so far plastic and zip ties are working without tearing.

I live in Wisconsin, temps are usually 10-20 all winter but will get below zero. Does everyone think wrapping the run is necessary? My run is covered and they still go outside almost all day every day. They avoid edges where there is snow, but the cold doesn't seem to bother them. They always can go in the coop to avoid any wind, but they spend nearly all their time outside even when it is frigid with no wrapping so far.

I live in Wisconsin, temps are usually 10-20 all winter but will get below zero. Does everyone think wrapping the run is necessary? My run is covered and they still go outside almost all day every day. They avoid edges where there is snow, but the cold doesn't seem to bother them. They always can go in the coop to avoid any wind, but they spend nearly all their time outside even when it is frigid with no wrapping so far.

I only wrap my hoop run. The cochins living there seem to appreciate dry foot feathers.
That and it is on the north side of the coop. If I didn't wrap it it would be a frozen ice covered no fun place to be.

My big coop has a 16x23 run that has metal roofing on one end only. Those birds are not feather footed and head to the covered section if there is snow.

Does everyone think wrapping the run is necessary?
Like most things chicken, it depends on multiple factors....
...IMO, it mostly depends on how much sheltered space the birds have so they are not crowded on the worst weather days. They need to be dry and out of the wind if the temps are low...the colder it is, the more this matters. The more crowded they are the 'unhappier' and unhealthier they are, so the more protected space they have, the better, IMO. I've seen some nasty 'Cabin Fever' behavior during the one winter I overcrowded my coop. My run is large but not wrapped or solid roofed.

Above aart mentioned crowding. Our main run is 8x12. When snow blows in the chickens avoid the snow. I plastic wrap the north and south sides. It keeps out most snow. The chicks came out every day last winter. There are pictures in my coop article. This year I am going with clear shower curtains. They should go up soon.

I live in Wisconsin, temps are usually 10-20 all winter but will get below zero. Does everyone think wrapping the run is necessary?

Whether you need to wrap the run or not depends on your own set up. If I didn't wrap the run and the wind started to blow, the birds wouldn't be able to comfortably come out for their food and water. Both food and water are kept in the run. We often get below 0 temperatures. I also put pine shavings and leaves in the run. I think it turns into a greenhouse even though one end is open. I believe the composting shavings and leaves also help. It is always noticeably warmer in the run than it is outside.

I use cardboard, slap it up somewhat sloppy so when it gets wet it falls off by spring and then I just let the chickens scratch it up in the run after I dump table scraps and scratch grains on them. I use screws because its what I had a surplus of when I first did it and I reuse them every winter. Staple gun works too. Cardboard is free but if you live in a place where you have to make things neat and pretty your neighbors might complain.

I wrapped my run today. I put uv resistant heavy duty tarp over the roof and shower curtain liners on the west side using black zip ties (the east is close to our fence, so it will be somewhat protected, in theory). No snow here ever, but we are expecting rain and winds (35 - 45 mph) over the next few days. I will let you all know how it holds up (if it holds up).

My girls are in the run much of the day, and my coop is kinda small. Their food and water is in the run. I put a second waterer in the coop. My coop is weird because it doesn't have a pop door (tbh, I wasn't sure how to make one - LOL). They come and go via the human door. I hope it doesn't let in too much rain... And I'm a lil worried about the ventilation at the top of the coop. The roof should be pitched enough and have enough overhang. I guess this little storm will be the coop's first test.

Fingers crossed! :fl

Back
Top Bottom