Please help. Immediately!

I made the mixture, and gave it some. It had a bit, the problem is it will not relax under the heat lamp. I've tried the sock and animal, it'll go back to squirming and flopping very quickly.

I found one of my hens chick's just outside without mama. I know enough about chicks to tell that was way too cold. It's been under the heat lamp for bout 2. It keeps craning its neck over it's back and to can't keep it's eyes open. Despite my effort's it won't settle and sleep under the heat lamp. I'm holding it under my blanket, since it wants a heartbeat and it needs to sleep. It's about a day old. What should I do here?
Can you get it to eat at all or drink. If you could get it to drink some electrolyte water that would help I would think. It will need some fluids and some nourishment soon as the amount of calories from the yolk will soon be running out after birth plus 48 to 72 hours you are skating on thin ice between the 48 and 72 hour period of no nourishment or fluids being taken in if he or she is not doing so it needs to be for sure. I have heard boiled egg is good also if they will not eat also. Oh. Do you have any other chicks that you could put it with for a while to comfort it or show it the ropes on eating and drinking? Sometimes that is all it takes and just one time is enough. Good luck and I wish you and he or she the very best. I am not the greatest help but maybe you pull him through just the same. 🙏🐓🙏🙂

There are other chicks but it's too late to bring them in. I managed to get it to drink a bit of the special water though. Which I'll give it more in 2 hour bursts. For now, guess I can only hope it'll get better.

I made the mixture, and gave it some. It had a bit, the problem is it will not relax under the heat lamp. I've tried the sock and animal, it'll go back to squirming and flopping very quickly.
The reason it is not settling down is most likely because it’s blood sugar is very low. This causes restless in people and animal many times. Not always but likely. I have had it myself. Scary. If you could even get it to try some peanut butter in this crisis time anything to save it or Kayro Syrup. It beats nothing. Anything to get her sugar up. Honey. Whatever you have that she will take.

I've saved a few chicks before with a watered down peanut butter sugar mixture. It gives them a whole heap of calories and is easily digestible, plus you can put it in a pipette or syringe and squeeze little bits into their mouths.

I agree with the other posters. Keep this chick close up to your body for a few hours, or put it back under the hen. Keep feeding it yourself for now.

Just to add, if it is getting distressed being alone then that is energy it is wasting. It needs that energy to recover.

Correct on the body heat. Sometimes you have to open the little beak to drip the electrolyte solution in. It's not only cold but dehydrated. It's very important to keep that lil chick hydrated. If you can, set your alarm for every 2 hours tonight and literally open it's beak to drop the electrolyte solution in. Even if you drop the solution from your finger tips. Good Luck with your lil chick. Hope this helps. Are you able to slip it back under the Mom tonight?
Just bc I'm curious - she said it's arching it's neck back. I had failing keets do the same - but that's not the same as wry neck, is it? The causes don't match up, unless hens toss out failing chicks?

Back
Top Bottom