PLEASE HELP ME! My baby is dying!

Oh just re read your post and saw you said the crop was fine. Strange that she is pecking at it. Can you check inside her mouth for gape worm or yeast infection?

Wet feathers/down makes it easier to inspect the skin for injury/wounds. Can you wet those, then trim the down to get a better look at that?

Not being able to lift the head or stand is concerning. She's in trouble. Try to get fluids into her.

Wet feathers/down makes it easier to inspect the skin for injury/wounds. Can you wet those, then trim the down to get a better look at that?

Not being able to lift the head or stand is concerning. She's in trouble. Try to get fluids into her.

I’m going to go do that now. Y’all hold tight! Y’all have been so super helpful with answering my questions. I’ll update once I get her cleaned up.

The pecking at herself seems strange, I'm wondering if maybe she is having seizures, and inadvertently grabbing feathers as she's seizing. Seizures could be from head trauma or toxins. Just a thought.

You mentioned she has been broody for 5weeks?
While the length of time is not that unusual, if she has not been eating/drinking well, this could be part of the decline. Silkies have a vaulted skull, so if the snake did struggle with her, then she may have injured her head too. The symptoms of the neck being floppy sounds like Wry Neck, but regardless, she is still in trouble. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench available, give her a direct dose of 1cc per 3lbs of weight.

I assume you have her inside. Also, once you clean those areas, dry her really well, so she doesn't chill. You can use a hair dryer. Keep her warm, use a heating pad intermittently set on low or you can put towels in the laundry dryer to warm them up a bit and loosely swaddle her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago my Silkie pecked herself bald all down the front of course I freaked and went to the vet who told me she was broody....she was.
But this almost sounds respiratory. On the photos I thought maybe wound but the gasping and lethargy tell me she's a sick bird.
Please don't hop on me fellow members but I suggest either a vet, or a trip to the local supply store for antibiotics.

You mentioned she has been broody for 5weeks?
While the length of time is not that unusual, if she has not been eating/drinking well, this could be part of the decline. Silkies have a vaulted skull, so if the snake did struggle with her, then she may have injured her head too. The symptoms of the neck being floppy sounds like Wry Neck, but regardless, she is still in trouble. If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench available, give her a direct dose of 1cc per 3lbs of weight.

I assume you have her inside. Also, once you clean those areas, dry her really well, so she doesn't chill. You can use a hair dryer. Keep her warm, use a heating pad intermittently set on low or you can put towels in the laundry dryer to warm them up a bit and loosely swaddle her.

She wasn’t/isn’t broody... my other 2 were. I got eggs from a friend for the 2 other hens to sit on, not her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y’all aren’t going to believe this, but I have figured out what’s wrong with her- never would’ve guessed it!
So, I wiped her down earlier to check for cuts or injuries. Nothing.
Dried her off, put her back in the brooder and turned to drain the water. Heard the most awful noise. Turned and looked, and she had pooped out the MOST disgusting, brown, watery poop I’ve ever seen. And the smell- OMG the smell!
But what was even MORE strange about the poop; one of my dachshunds has had the SAME yucky, brown diarrhea since Tuesday. Smells the same.
I went to look in the coop area, and caught my dachshund drinking rain water, that’s beside the fence where the coop is, and along the back, inside the fencing for the coop.
OMG both my chicken AND my dog would’ve had access to this water! They BOTH have GIARDIA!

I called our vet and they are treating my dog, and gave me another prescription for my hen as well as the other chickens (just in case).

Here is a link to also tell you more about giardia and chickens.

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/...ngal-infections-in-chickens-molds-and-yeasts/

Attachments

• CCA33B62-7C48-4B8B-A98A-7C7B4CD5CCCF.jpeg
    CCA33B62-7C48-4B8B-A98A-7C7B4CD5CCCF.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 5DA2AAB2-BFC5-4DCD-BC06-DD7F0FC9A375.jpeg
    5DA2AAB2-BFC5-4DCD-BC06-DD7F0FC9A375.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom