please help me treat my birdie

hammytammy

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2014
Windsor NY
bark like chirp slimy with dark debris in mucus
she had pussy nostrils.
young pullet, no gleet, active, eating and drinking.
no worms, mites , lice
ive given her the terramicin and puss cleared up.
still something going on.
is it normal for her to be a little raspy when i massage her crop?
thanks guys, going back to the coop.
tammy

It definitely sounds to me like she has a respiratory disease. You did the right thing by trying the Terramycin, but unfortunately, most respiratory diseases will never go away, even with antibiotic treatment--they are chronic problems. The bird my stop showing symptoms, and only appear sick again when stressed out. Or, she may always seem a little congested and never become fully free of symptoms. The disease will always be in her body. That means that any birds that come into contact with her will risk being exposed.

Still, if you're okay with that, you can try giving more supportive care and see if her immune system can fight the disease off. Supportive care means keeping the bird isolated in a warm, clean place. Make sure she has access to fresh feed and water, and if possible, put some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in the water. Try not to stress her out too much, either.

If you don't want to risk infecting other birds, or she gets worse, I would consider humanely culling her.

Last edited:
It definitely sounds to me like she has a respiratory disease. You did the right thing by trying the Terramycin, but unfortunately, most respiratory diseases will never go away, even with antibiotic treatment--they are chronic problems. The bird my stop showing symptoms, and only appear sick again when stressed out. Or, she may always seem a little congested and never become fully free of symptoms. The disease will always be in her body. That means that any birds that come into contact with her will risk being exposed.

Still, if you're okay with that, you can try giving more supportive care and see if her immune system can fight the disease off. Supportive care means keeping the bird isolated in a warm, clean place. Make sure she has access to fresh feed and water, and if possible, put some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in the water. Try not to stress her out too much, either.

If you don't want to risk infecting other birds, or she gets worse, I would consider humanely culling her.
X2 on this.

If it's a viral respiratory disease, it won't go away because of antibiotics. And, even if it's caused by bacteria, most respiratory diseases are hard to treat and will reoccur in the future.

thank you for your reply.........ive seen you before, i remember the "nothing gold can stay" frost poem.
yep
i did tons of research and learned that supportive care is about it.
i have other birds, so i am bummed, she was with the flock when i noticed
she was sick.
i am treating all my little friends with the antibiotic preventively.
omg, im so corny im tearing up now.
......as eden sank to grief.....
shes a comfy, warm dry safe little bird.
i call her blubelle even though shes grey.
hope i dont have to cull her. or all of them.
thanks again for hearing and responding to my concern.
tammy

X2 on this.

If it's a viral respiratory disease, it won't go away because of antibiotics. And, even if it's caused by bacteria, most respiratory diseases are hard to treat and will reoccur in the future.

well, i have to go with your advice. i gave a lot of extra care. can you suggest a good way to put her "down?" i will not take her to a vet.
i'll also check byc for ideas.
ty
tammy

well, i have to go with your advice. i gave a lot of extra care. can you suggest a good way to put her "down?" i will not take her to a vet.
i'll also check byc for ideas.
ty
tammy
I suggest doing a search for "how to put a chicken down" up in the BYC search bar. You should come up with several results on different ideas.

Basically, the method of culling differs from person to person. Some break the neck with their hands, others cut the throat, and others chop off the head with an axe/knife. My personal favorite way (and I'm not saying its the best way) is to shoot the bird in the head with a .177 caliber air rifle. One person can hold the bird on the ground, with their hands out of the way (or if its too weak to move, it can just lay there). You put the muzzle of the air rifle behind the head and press the trigger. This is the easiest for me to do, as it's not as "hands-on", and it is quite humane for the bird.

how did you mix the terramycin? I dont understand the package instructions. I dont want to mix a whole gallon of it at a time. someone mentioned a gram scale. I dont wanna spend more money on something I will never use AGAIN......THANKS

Last edited:
well, i used the tree loppers method.
i wrapped her gently but snugly, layed her on the ground and petted her a second --
then Quick- loppers open and around neck one big fast squeeze,- over.

I suggest doing a search for "how to put a chicken down" up in the BYC search bar. You should come up with several results on different ideas.

Basically, the method of culling differs from person to person. Some break the neck with their hands, others cut the throat, and others chop off the head with an axe/knife. My personal favorite way (and I'm not saying its the best way) is to shoot the bird in the head with a .177 caliber air rifle. One person can hold the bird on the ground, with their hands out of the way (or if its too weak to move, it can just lay there). You put the muzzle of the air rifle behind the head and press the trigger. This is the easiest for me to do, as it's not as "hands-on", and it is quite humane for the bird.

ty
tammy

Back
Top Bottom