Please help: My chick has one eye closed

Ellie's Flock

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2018
My pullet is 4 days old and this morning started closing one eye and it hasn't opened yet. I'm worried. It was right after I picked her up. Did I do this to her? Is something wrong? Please help I'm worried.

Is there any redness or discharge? Can you check gently if there is any dust or fluff in her eye? Does she seem otherwise well (eating and drinking, active and pooping normally)?

Is there any redness or discharge? Can you check gently if there is any dust or fluff in her eye? Does she seem otherwise well (eating and drinking, active and pooping normally)?

It looks fine. She just randomly started keeping it closed. She is eating, drinking, and chirping more than the other chick. When I got her her eye wasn't closed.

I'm still worried and panicking though. I tried to dish out some food to see if she would open it, but it's still closed and the other chick was faster to get it than her.

If there is no foreign object in there and no sign of infection or injury, she should be fine. Sometimes chicks will just keep one eye open and I swear they actually sleep that way!

You could try very gently moving the eyelid open to check for anything wrong. Splash some cool water onto the eye area and then pat dry. Don't worry it doesn't sound bad and its very unlikely to have been caused by anything you did.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom