Please help!! Paralysis behavior in hen

mcash0529

Hatching
Jul 9, 2023
My hen randomly became "paralyzed" about 1 week ago and shows no sign of improvement. I've tried electrolytes in her water, vitamins, and corid and nothing has helped. She eats and drinks fine, and has power in her legs and can kick and move them just fine, but she cannot stand or walk. Anytime she tries she quickly looses her balance and falls to her side. Her poop is also regular, maybe slightly watery but hard to tell. She has no signs of anything being wrong with her feet like mites or bumblefoot etc. I don't want to have to put her down but I don't want her to suffer. Please help!! I am desperate.

Last edited:
Sorry your hen is unwell.

How old is she?
When did she last lay an egg?
Do you have a rooster?
How high are the temperatures in your whereabouts/the coop and run?
When did you last deworm your flock?
Did you recently add new birds to your flock?

Last edited:
I've had several hens with this problem. My vet thinks it is neurological so that is probably a breeding problem. My rule of thumb is if the hen wants to live I will work with her. This includes vitamins daily, extra nutrition in her feed, gentle massage & encouraging her to try to stand & walk. It requires time & patience & a commitment to working with a hen who is already stressed. If I remember correctly my worst case took a couple of months before my hen was mobile again. @Shadrach has experience with this & also treated successfully.

A few years ago, my Mareks vaccinated 5 YO hen, suddenly could not balance, and would take off walking and fall backwards or to one side. She could stand, but could not stay upright.

For 5 weeks, she spent time in a nest on the floor of the coop. She would move about her nest to stay out of her droppings. She would not stay in the chicken sling chair that I made for her. Twice a day I offered very watery chicken feed with NutriDrench, a small bit of cooked egg, and varied that with a little canned cat food or tuna. She finally one day, was able to get up and out of the nest. She at first was wobbly, but eventually got her strength back, and lived normally for the next couple of years. So, I wouldn’t give up on your chicken if she continues to eat and drink, and seems to have fight in her.

Hello everyone! Thank you for your help!

To answer some questions, she is less than 1 yr and isn't laying yet. Also we live in TN and I'd say at hottest temperatures get to high 80s, just very muggy. We have two roosters, a silkie and bantam. No new chickens have been entered and Im not exactly sure when the last time they were dewormed

Today she's shown some progress, she's able to be on her feet and keep balance and no longer falls to one side. I'm hoping this means she's getting better and will walk again. Me and my family plan on continuing to work with her as long as she shows she has fight left in her. I attached and image of her current position.

Attachments

• IMG-20230709-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20230709-WA0010.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 7
You can try a chicken sling with her legs touching the ground to get her upright and help with her feeding and care. Food and water container can be set right in front of them. They can be removed often to rest or stretch out. Here are some examples of slings posts 5, 11, and 12 especially:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Some people have also used a strap to get the chicken up to try and walk for short periods. You could make one even like a sling out of soft material such as a scarf. Let us know how she gets along. Mareks is a concern, but hopefully it is something else. If you should lose her, to rule out Mareks, most state vets will do testing with a necropsy (autopsy.)

I think a Silkie and/or a bantam rooster would hardly be the cause of her issues.

As to not having laid yet: You could feel the bones each side of her cloaca to determine if she will start soon.
Sometimes the first egg can cause issues pressuring the isciatic nerve.

Worms can also cause a host of issues as they deprive the bird of nutrients and essential vitamins which can lead to lameness etc.

She's walking again! She takes frequent breaks but she's doing much better. However, the flock is acting like she's a stranger and will try and peck her etc. Is there a way to get them to remember her?

The flock hasn't forgotten her but the pecking order has changed. Your hen needs to find her new place in it. It should sort in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom