Please help! Roosters head pecked raw!

jfays

Songster
6 Years
Apr 4, 2015
ct
Hello. I'm a pretty experienced chicken raiser but i've never had this problem. I have one flock of chicks (almost 2 months) and another flock that are about a month old. I tried to integrate them last night (never had a problem before) but I had a beautiful white creasted polish rooster who the older ones pecked. His head was raw this morning, almost ALL his feathers were pulled out. I feel so sad for him but otherwise he seems perfectly fine but I'm worried about his head.

I separated them so he is safe now but I am wondering what I should do about his head. I'm worried it'll get infected. Obviously I can't bandage his head but should I put some kind of ointment on it or clean it out? There is a very SMALL amount of blood. But really it's mostly just raw and oozing a little like a wound would. what should I do to help him? Also, will his top head feathers grow back even if they pulled them out by the root? Poor guy :(

Hello. I'm a pretty experienced chicken raiser but i've never had this problem. I have one flock of chicks (almost 2 months) and another flock that are about a month old. I tried to integrate them last night (never had a problem before) but I had a beautiful white creasted polish rooster who the older ones pecked. His head was raw this morning, almost ALL his feathers were pulled out. I feel so sad for him but otherwise he seems perfectly fine but I'm worried about his head.

I separated them so he is safe now but I am wondering what I should do about his head. I'm worried it'll get infected. Obviously I can't bandage his head but should I put some kind of ointment on it or clean it out? There is a very SMALL amount of blood. But really it's mostly just raw and oozing a little like a wound would. what should I do to help him? Also, will his top head feathers grow back even if they pulled them out by the root? Poor guy :(
Aw, poor guy!
Can you post a pic? It would make it easier to determine how bad it is and how best to treat him.

I don't have one unfortunately. It's dark out now and they've gone to roost. There's no holes. They just pulled out all his feathers and it's oozy. Like when the rooster mates with the hens

If you haven't already, and are able to, might be good to put him by himself so they don't keep pecking on him. And for tonight, make sure it's clean. I'd just use water for now. And post a pic tomorrow. If it's not real bad you may just need to keep him separate until he heals. If it's clean and no one messes with him it's should heal nicely. I try not to use ointments unless necessary. But that's just me, others who may have a better option will probably check in before too long. Hope I helped a bit anyway!

Back
Top Bottom