PLEASE HELP!! Sick Silkie chick!!

If she is sick she might need heat, but I always use an inexpensive thermometer under the heat lamp to know what the hottest spot is. Clean off the poop as needed, since they do get poopy. Make sure they have a cooler spot in the brooder to get to, or enlarge your brooder. The Corid should be started asap, since she is so weak. Coccidiosis can damage the gut permanently, and since it is safe for all, I would start it today. If she doesn’t have coccidiosis, it won’t hurt her.

TSC probably has some inexpensive thermometers in the gardening section, and may have some for incubators where the baby chicks and incubators are sold.

upload_2019-2-20_14-53-10.jpeg

$2 at Lowes, and you can find incubator thermometers at farm stores.

UPDATE:
(***didn’t get a chance to check the temp yet, but I have the heat lamp off and they are all doing fine***)

I just got through changing out their shavings, and I have them some fresh (medicated) chick starter. I washed their food and water dish really good also.
Ethel is doing fine, still a little unsteady and wobbly. She’s eating really good, which I’m glad about, and her vent looks great. I made a point to watch until she pooped, and it looked completely normal.
My mom just got home with some corid, I’m about to put it in their water. (It’s from TSC, the only kind they had was for cattle. Just double checking, but it is safe for chicks, right? I want to make sure before I give them any).
Anyway, my chicks use nipple waterers, and the one they have is 1 liter, I believe. How much corid would I need to put in it??

Thanks everyone for all of your help, I really do appreciate it!! :hugs

PLEASE HELP!! :hit:hit:hit

My little blue silkie Ethel is sick!!!
She’s about a month and a week old, and she’s been perfectly healthy up to now. Always the first to the food bowl.

Today, I noticed a weird sound coming from the brooder. A high pitched peep I’d never heard out of any of my silkies, they are generally quiet. When I changed out the food and put new, I noticed Ethel waddled over to the food with her wings hanging down, like she was too hot. So I turned out the heat lamp for a little while.

Later, I heard the sound again. I’m not sure who it was, but when I went over to the brooder Ethel was laying underneath everyone else, at first I thought she was dead.
I lifted her, she didn’t even squirm or make a fuss (she’s one of my more skittish silkies, this was an immediate warning sign for me).

Please don’t tell me I’m a terrible chicken momma, I already feel terrible about this. When I lifted her, she weighed NOTHING. It was the equivalent to lifting a pile of feathers. I lifted the other chickens, there was an obvious weight difference. I feel terrible. Whenever I put the food in there they all swarm around it, I just automatically assumed she was eating as much as the others. Like I said, she’s always been a big eater. I feel awful :hitSchool’s been piling the work on, and I haven’t got to spend as much time with them as I would like. I should be watching them more.

I have her in my lap right now in a blanket. Still not showing any interest in water, but I did get her to eat a bit.

Also, I found this in the brooder after discovering Ethel was sick (pic attached). I don’t know who it came from, but I’m super worried, and I’m keeping a lookout.
Does anyone know what I should do? Should I keep Ethel separated from the others??
View attachment 1679427
Any help at all is appreciated, please please tag anyone if you think they can help. Thanks everyone :hit:fl

I agree with @Table4Six for many reasons. You aren't a terrible chicken momma! I bought 2 ducks and about 5 months ago they caught Bumblefoot. Anyway, they healed up just fine with the proper care in a week! Anyway, my point is, if you handle her with proper care, she will be fine! (If there's a cure.) :hugs:thumbsup Keep us updated! I'm guessing it's cocci like @The Phantom said. and yes use Corid like @Texas Kiki said. Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood luck!!
Know we're always here for you!:hugs

I agree with @Table4Six for many reasons. You aren't a terrible chicken momma! I bought 2 ducks and about 5 months ago they caught Bumblefoot. Anyway, they healed up just fine with the proper care in a week! Anyway, my point is, if you handle her with proper care, she will be fine! (If there's a cure.) :hugs:thumbsup Keep us updated! I'm guessing it's cocci like @The Phantom said. and yes use Corid like @Texas Kiki said. Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood luck!!
Know we're always here for you!:hugs
Thank you :hugs I’m starting to feel a lot better now that I’ve got everything under control better.

Do you know about the corid dosage for chicks?? Should I use their 1 liter waterer or a quart jar?? I don’t want to overdose them or something... :confused:

Back
Top Bottom