CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
Hi all, can someone tell me what breed this pullet is and confirm that she is in fact a girl?
I got her from TSC and her comb and waddles have developed a lot quicker than everyone else’s and they’re so big and very red. Was hoping that means she was going to lay soon but notice today what looks like spurs beginning to develop(tried getting a pic of them, couldn’t get the best, see below). She’s 4 month old.

Not to mention her comb is different than her other 2 sisters, not sure if that matters or not as I know mixing breeds can cause this but theirs are rose comb and hers isn’t.

I’m leaning towards girl but maybe some of you with a more trained eye can tell me

Attachments

• 0DED006B-3440-4DB9-BEEF-4C38B0075BA1.jpeg
    0DED006B-3440-4DB9-BEEF-4C38B0075BA1.jpeg
    684 KB · Views: 23
  • 5D0D2E74-4BE8-4C57-B880-7A4EF31FEE19.jpeg
    5D0D2E74-4BE8-4C57-B880-7A4EF31FEE19.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 18
  • 853F382D-345A-4AA6-AD1E-88321414DD6E.jpeg
    853F382D-345A-4AA6-AD1E-88321414DD6E.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 15
I got her from TSC and her comb and waddles have developed a lot quicker than everyone else’s and they’re so big and very red. Was hoping that means she was going to lay soon
Yes, that is what it probably means.

but notice today what looks like spurs beginning to develop(tried getting a pic of them, couldn’t get the best, see below).
That does not indicate gender.

All chickens have spur buds like that.

Some females grow spurs, some do not. Almost all males grow spurs.

She’s 4 month old.

Probably close to laying.
A male of that age would most likely be very obvious-- long skinny saddle feathers curving down on each side in front of a big showy tail, and a comb & wattles that became obvious at a much younger age.

Not to mention her comb is different than her other 2 sisters, not sure if that matters or not as I know mixing breeds can cause this but theirs are rose comb and hers isn’t.
Rose vs. single comb does not tell gender. Either kind can happen in males and in females.
The same is true for pea comb, V-comb, and buttercup comb. They can all happen in both genders.

can someone tell me what breed this pullet is
She might be a Rhode Island Red, or a New Hampshire, or a Production Red.
There's a chance of her being some kind of Red Sexlink (sold under a variety of names, but most of them have white tails instead of black ones.)

Those are all pretty similar: dual-purpose chickens, red with black tails, and good layers of brown eggs.

If you have others with a different comb type, they are probably a different breed too.

That’s a pullet, one way to tell is the saddle feathers, if she was a rooster her saddle feathers would be longer and down the sides along with pointy, but since they’re rounded that means female.
The other picture is my old rooster(he was mean so I sold him) and his saddle feathers, I would show you a better picture on my current rooster but he’s a silkie so it’s much harder to see. I’m just recently learning this technique of sexing but it’s pretty easy to see once you find out how to see it
DD6D540C-646D-4A28-A1E9-B7CB87D3DF7F.jpeg
A61D5317-70C2-4E5C-AE42-32DAE1CE33D7.jpeg

Also yeah I know this is old but for the future! Good luck with your birds!

Back
Top Bottom