poll: are you legal or an outlaw?

I living in the country, so I am legal. Many of my neighbors have chickens, as well. Those of you who live in cities prohibiting chickens should fight the good fight. Good luck.

I'm a very lucky legal chicken keeper. I didn't know at the time we bought our house that the properties south of Main street were grandfathered in and can have livestock. I'm 4 blocks south of Main street.
ya.gif

I swear I'm going to be HOA "illegal" if I can't find a lot that permits it with decent internet access. For crying out loud the last one I looked at was over an acre and allowed 1 horse but no chickens?

Chickens are legal in my town, but the permitting process is so unnecessarily complicated and the permit so expensive to renew each year that we just keep our four hens illegally. We told all of our neighbors first and they love them too, so we haven't had any problems.

hide.gif
Illegal.... I know, I know.... The neighbors all around us are totally cool with them and some even come to see the girls, but I still worry. We are actively looking for rural property so we can be legal and happy on a farm!
D.gif

Legal! We checked before spending all that money building a nice fully insulated secure coop and large run! Now that I have chickens, if the laws change I will keep them anyways and become an outlaw. Even if that means downsizing and having bantams only. I'd keep 2-3 in the house and make their own full sized room in the basement. I can not ever see myself without chickens! My favorite pet for sure! Luckily we own 4 acres of land. We don't need a permit either.

Last edited:
Legal.. I do not have anywhere even remotely close to my limit. 100 % legal rooster and all. However a local lady doesn't like the horses and roosters so files bogus complaints. I got one and several others same day as us. Funny.. Move to a horse area then gripe because they are horses.
th.gif

Legal. Live in the county surrounded by farmland on what used to be a hog farm but now is in crops. Smells better this way. Nearest town (27,000 people) of our farming community made somebody get rid of their chickens in the city limits because they said there was an ordinance and turns out there is none prohibiting chickens, only cows, goats, horses, even donkeys, etc. I would have made them read it to me and would not have gotten rid of my chickens.

deb g

Back
Top Bottom