Possibly eggbound after prolapse

Michelin

Chirping
Feb 7, 2021
I've read a million posts on here about eggbound ducks and chickens. Our favorite duck had a prolapse last Saturday. She laid an egg on Sunday morning, but nothing since. I let her out Tuesday and she acted completely normal, free ranging with our other 6 ducks. I did see her and her sister eating ash out of our firepit. Then last night I noticed it was prolapsed a little and BLACK! Immediately brought her in, gave her a soak in a tub of warm water, and fed her a crushed up tums. The water quickly turned black. Drained that and added fresh water, and this time it was obvious she's pooping black (probably ashy?) poop, but the water didn't turn black. The prolapse went in by itself. I gloved up and lubricated, then felt in her vent and I can feel an egg, but it feels like there's a membrane between my finger and the egg. Also, my finger came out all black ashy-poopy, like there's poop up where it shouldn't be. Put her in a dog crate over night and she didn't lay. I have her in a bath again right now, she's acting perky.

Any ideas of next steps?

From all most of us have tried the liquid Calcium gluconate works the best and fastest to get that egg out. It causes contractions which helps to move the egg. 1ml over a tasty treat. if you have a plastic wash tub for dishes you can place her in it and cover her with a towel with her head out that may keep her from drinking the water. You'll just have to sit with her to keep her from jumping out.

From all most of us have tried the liquid Calcium gluconate works the best and fastest to get that egg out. It causes contractions which helps to move the egg. 1ml over a tasty treat. if you have a plastic wash tub for dishes you can place her in it and cover her with a towel with her head out that may keep her from drinking the water. You'll just have to sit with her to keep her from jumping out.
Like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220929-091637_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220929-091637_Chrome.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 5
Not really unless you seeing signs like staying in the nest longer than normal, not hanging with her flock or her vent pulsing. It’s common for them to take breaks so they can build back their calcium reserves. Getting the cal glu is one thing I would def have on hand. That’s great to hear she laid!!!

Just got to this thread - I'm so happy for you and your duckie! It's very stressful - and all you can really do is administer that calcium and wait... Ugh... But now you know what to look for. And I would supplement the extra calcium every day for a week or so just to make sure that there are no more glitches.

Back
Top Bottom