post thoughts about sillkies

*L*A*G* :

I've got to get me one but do they get along with RIRS?
Do U have to order them because I never hered of them
until I joined BCY? R their eggs big and layed every day?
Larra

Sometimes they get along with standard chickens, but it depends. You could order them from a hatchery or get some from a breeder. These are bantams so their eggs are tiny and so are the birds. Mostlikely they won't lay everyday for very long since they go broody so much. A hen doesn't lay while brooding.​

:cool:Silkies are great ! They make unbelievable mothers, are not fighters,stay close to ho me, and everyone that comes to your place will love them!!! I've used them to hatch out everything down through the years,and never had a problem. I prefer mine to be beardless but that's just a preference of mine. If you get them I would be careful putting them in with your RIR's. They may get beat up on pretty bad.

Quote:
I own 12 and I don't they are ugly at all! They go though a gangly stage just as all maturing chickens do. Wait till they feather out THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL! I have never seen or met an ugly silkie!

I think Silkies are adorable, and they have great personalities. Ours are very calm and sweet. They usually want to be where you are, and they don't mind being cuddled.

Did I mention cute?

15491_the_peeps.jpg

14241_dsc01199.jpg

I got silkies cause that is all the feed store had at the time when I went to buy chicks...but now I am hooked on them... They have sweet temperments ...even the roo...he is not vicious and is even gentle with his girls...They are not ugly they are beautiful...

edited to change the pic

Last edited:
Bet you can't get just one !! They are like potato chips. You have to get as many as you can possibly have. They come in different colors so ya know you HAVE to get at least two of every color!!!

Such gentle, innocent creatures. They love one another and they will take an egg from most any chicken and sit it.

Only thing is you HAVE to have a predator proof place for them to stay the night. They do not really roost and they can hardly fly.

Many say they are true decencents from a certian type of dinosaur and they are studied by severatl universites for this purpose. Freaky hey !!

Silkies are the best! Well, okay, this week anyway!
I love mine but have too many roos and they are beating up each other.
My personal favorite are the bearded Silkies in the buff and porcelain colors.

9332_friday_pics_064.jpg

9332_buff_boy.jpg

These are a few of my roos.
I keep my Silkies in their own flock though some of my other birds fly over the fence to visit. BIG mistake when you have 5 roos that are young and ....well, you know.
love.gif

I keep a trio to themselves so the hens feel like they have some protection and guidance.
I am lazy, I got Silkies to be my incubators and brooders. And next spring I plan to cross them with my bantam Cochins for even cuter little pets.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom