Prayers for our SANITY!!!

My prayers are with you. A friend of ours has a daughter with ADHD and she gives her some kind of natural sleep aid the doctor recommended. Without it the little girl can not come down to sleep. She forgot it once fwhen she was spending the night and I was up with her until 4:00am before she finally caved in. It does help both of them get their rest.

This is all a learning experience for us and tonight was incredible. After this kid bounced off every wall in the house, doing his best to destroy everything, at 7:35 he asked for his jammies and went to bed. 8 pm is his bed time. He went WILLINGLY and without fight. He is sound asleep right now.
love.gif

This has been my day with him:

love.gif
th.gif
he.gif
rant.gif
woot.gif
smack.gif
hu.gif
th.gif
love.gif

Oh I soooo know that feeling.

It is always difficult but over time you do learn how to make things easier. Routines are key for lots of ADHD kids, which sucks if you are a slightly ADHD parent who has a hard time organizing your life around a routine.... but when they are expected to do the same thing every day it really seems to help out with the chaos a little.

My only suggestions are to skip the drink and take the vitamines. You are going to need your strength. See if you can get him in with an occupational therapist. I know that sounds weird but thats what they are called. I talked to my pediatrician when my son was a bit over 2 that I was a tad worried about surviving my first son. It would take forever to explain how hyper he was but there was 4 of us and we could not keep up.

So the pediatrician refered us to a state program connected with the schools jump start program and they provide early intervention therapy. They worked miracles I swear. We are still amazed and they did all of this through therapy NOT medication. No meds whatsoever. They did such a good job than when kindergarten came he was able to excel without ever needing medication. They had him in modeling therapy and had a occupational therapist coming to the house. Miracle workers I swear.

This morning, Ken woke Sara up to take care of him, and she put him back to bed and went back to sleep. Ken told her to get her butt UP and watch the child, he doesn't sleep til noon. She is gonna undo everything we manage to accomplish with that child!!
barnie.gif
he.gif

I always have said that I kept my youngest son alive throughout his childhood, for which I deserve a medal. Here is what I learned: with some children you have to completely rearrange your home to keep them safe, that means getting rid of anything that they can be harmed by or are tempting to climb to for the first few years, putting really high latches on closet doors, kid latches on all bottom cupboards and drawers, you may need to double up the baby gates (two high instead of one), make darn sure that any tall furniture that could tip when climbed is strapped securely to the wall (L clips and a drill will make this job cheap and easy). If you make the home secure, then you will spend much less of your time frazzled. As they get older, you can gradually bring things back in and take latches out, teaching as you go. Another thing, quiet time is your friend. Many times children will give up naps early (there is just too darn much for them to do!), as a result it means that the adults don't get a break. You can put them in their room for an hour or so for "quiet time", you will need to start small and work your way up to an hour. Their room will need to be completely safe and secure, and they will need checked on, but it can be a lifesaver.

What his behavior is really saying is that he's now feeling more secure with you, which is a really good thing.

This kid is TOTALLY crackin me up tonight! I called him a goofball, and he said gooseball. He ran into my desk and hollered LOUDLY Scuse me. I said oh dear and he is running around saying "oh dear, oh dear". He came out of the bathroom with both legs inside one leg of his shorts and was laughing his fool head off.

I sense a bedtime fight in about, oh 16 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom