Prayers needed for Gloria.

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
Hi all,
for those who know Gloria, or even those who do not.... she needs prayers.
We are away on vacation right now and our petsitters called and had a problem. After spraying Hydrogen peroxide on Gloria's scab, it fell totally off. We were very excited at first to hear that, but they said under that scab is THOUSANDS of maggots. They brought her in the tub and scrubbed her down of maggots as best they could. Then blow dryed her feathers and put neosporin on her leg. We are calling them everyday for updates and I will keep you all posted. Thankfully none of the other hens or animals have maggots on them. Gloria is currently being kept inside the house in a carrier full of towels. Her leg is treated and hopefully the maggots got smothered in the neosporin enough. If the maggots go away and the scab doesn't grow back, this may of been Gloria's little miracle. if the scab DOES grow back..... we may have to stop the pain for Gloria.... she's been through thsi too many times.

So please pray and offer any advice on how to treat maggots!

Gloria and my bunny Trixie..... that little hen really is a love bug and would be so happy if this was her miracle, so please please please pray!

Maggots could be a good sign, as they eat infection and have been used to treat human patients as well.

I am praying for Gloria. I really am :( Poor girl!

Post this in the emergency section instead maybe?

Last edited:
Maggots could be a good sign, as they eat infection and have been used to treat human patients as well.
I am praying for Gloria. I really am
sad.png
Poor girl!
Post this in the emergency section instead maybe?

I did read they can be good, but not if they carry diseases. The ones they use for humans are scientifically bred and if they become disease ridden, they aren't good.

I did read they can be good, but not if they carry diseases.   The ones they use for humans are scientifically bred and if they become disease ridden, they aren't good.
That's also true.

Found this:
26-05-10, 11:16 AM
Chicken update for the kind people who posted advice. I went out right after I posted, came back about 11.30pm to find tetracycline hadn't killed the maggots and the posts saying I should take her to the vet. Oooh dear. Anyway, I surfed frantically for anything that could kill maggots without killing the chicken (and that I had in the house). Hairspray! So I went out and covered my chicken with Harmony haispray and thought that I would take her the the vet in the morning if she was still alive. Well, this morning had a look and the chuck is loads perkier and the maggots (literally thousands of little ones) were pretty much all dead! So I cut off her feathers with scissors and washed the area with soapy water and a toothbrush- looks quite clean and OK now! So I will spray again with tetracycline for the wounds which arent too bad and I 'think' she might be OK?!

MayMay had an issue with maggots this spring. If she can overcome them, so can Gloria. Neosporin is what I started with until i went to TSC and got a container of stuff to kill screw worms. It is like a vaseline that you slather on them and it will suffocate them quickly. I was sure MayMay was going to die. How can they get through something so horrible. But they do. She did. I know Gloria can overcome this. Prayers sent your way my friend.

We need her Gloria stink eye to much to let her go.

Back
Top Bottom