Premade Duck House?

Squiggs

Chirping
Jul 11, 2018
Colorado
**This is planning for the future for 3 medium sized adult ducks**

Are there any durable, well ventilated duck houses available on the market? While I wait for my ducklings to arrive, I keep looking into it and there seems to be a lot of complaints about most of them. They already have a predator safe run and access to free range available, but I'd like to find something I can lock them up in at night inside the run or put out in the field to retreat to on cold winter days. We have a secure room they will sleep in already, but it is part of the barn; I would really like something portable so I'm not too dependent on the house and I can assure my ducks could move with me easily.

If you have one or have converted a readily available commercial dog house into one can you please share pictures and your opinions?

I think a dog house will likely be your best bet as well. You may have to add a door that can be locked. Some already have ventilation. Some already have a roof that opens, but you might need to add some sort of people access hatch (hinge the roof or a wall) to collect eggs and clean.

Thank you for all the thread links everyone I appreciate it! I will check these out and see what I can find as far as dog houses go that I can modify. In the meantime, feel free to keep suggesting things :hugs

I just wish that ready-to-go duck houses were available that weren't horribly cheap and with terrible ventilation as I'm far from skilled with building things lol

Seriously, duck housing is easy compared to chickens. Ducks are not picky. Ducks will lay eggs anywhere (whether you want them to or not) and will choose to sleep on the ground in rain or snow half the time. Mine run in and out of their duck house all day and particularly like the shade it provides in summer and the wind Shelter in winter, but when it's nice out they really don't care about their house much.

I've found both of these houses available locally for decent prices and sent some messages their way. What do you guys think?

28907710_176491663153830_1210280798_n.jpg
32313075_10212100350647662_2012210723844784128_n.jpg

I'll obviously have to make a predator proof door and drill some ventilation holes to make it complete. Neither have removable roofs but they seem large enough that I can get in there to clean it out with some elbow grease ;)

Back
Top Bottom