Premature hatched duckling with yolk sac

ThWJust remember, just because they want to have babies doesn’t mean they have to. It’s way easier if you make them wait until warm weather. It looks like she did a pretty good job given that it’s her first time and it’s winter. Congrats on the babies.
Yeah we weren’t expecting babies till spring both mama duck and one of my chickens desperately wanted to be moms.

I’m happy that she’s doing such a good job tho.

I'm so sorry. 💔

How wonderful that he was loved when he took his final breath. You are a good duck parent. :hugs
Thank you, not the first time I’ve had this happen last time it did it was a puppy and I was a kid. Both time I tried cpr in hopes to bring them back, but sadly it wasn’t effective. Animals has always been one of my loves, I wanted to be a vet when I got older, however that hasn’t happened.

Evening everyone, well we lost two more babies, one before hatching I opened the egg to see what the cause was it seems to have been an abnormality. The other baby died shortly after hatching no clear signs to why, the last egg also hatched but mom bite it and tossed it. So I’m now doing what I did with little Kibo, though this little one is a ton more active then Kibo was it’s trying to stand up as well.
5C21C89A-0C1E-4A39-A1AF-75BA23978275.jpeg

Attachments

• F135D642-D5B6-4BEB-B9D0-CD4E67B5CB60.jpeg
    F135D642-D5B6-4BEB-B9D0-CD4E67B5CB60.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 8
DD34B20B-1901-43A5-B1AA-96DEDAF0D684.png
Little one is doing well this morning, it’s accepted water. Hasn’t eaten yet other then some sugar water, it’s still a little uneasy on it’s feet but its eyes seem to stick. I haven’t even seen it attempt to blink, I try to make sure they are clean and wash it’s face

Awwww, it's beautiful! Keep the little one warm and tell it how much you love it. I would put some finely diced lettuce in its water to encourage it to swallow solid stuff, then maybe mix some feed with some water until it is a very wet, soupy consistency and see if it is interested in eating a little bit of that. Good luck! You are doing a great job! :hugs
Thank you, I’m a first time duck grandma lol. Out of the 9 eggs she currently only has 2 living babies, I’m wondering if some of the issues the babies who died was caused by when mom got separated from the clutch and they got cold. I had been so worried because they were still developing and I did a two day check to see if there was any movement, the first day after was hardly any movement but the day after that they were moving like normal. So I’m curious if that effected the babies. If we lost this little one then she’ll be left with only fluffers, I still find it strange that she wants nothing to do with the new little one. Could it also be due to that fluffers is 8 days older than the new baby?

Back
Top Bottom