Question for any pressure canning pros. Can I throw homemade vegetable soup in cans and pressure can it? I made a medium sized batch of soup today, but I still have tons of vegetables and was thinking I could put a few pots on at once in the next few days, and save myself some freezer space if I am able to can any.
From my Ball Guide to Preserving book. Let me know if you need better pictures
IMG_20230829_144718614.jpg
IMG_20230829_144727247.jpg

I want to try saurkraut and salsa to start. Then anything I think might be good
Sauerkraut is a good starting point. It doesn't get any easier. All you need is cabbage, salt and some elbow grease. You can get fancier. The key (as with most vegetable ferments) is to weight down the veggies. They need to stay below the surface as fermentation is an anaerobic process. There are a ton of YouTube videos on it.

I have a question now. I'm doing water glassed eggs again and I combined my jars from last year(they were started in the same time frame). How should I discard the old water/lime mixture? I want to clean one jar out and start a new batch but I don't know if I can just dump it down the drain or in my yard or what. I have city water and sewer

I have a question now. I'm doing water glassed eggs again and I combined my jars from last year(they were started in the same time frame). How should I discard the old water/lime mixture? I want to clean one jar out and start a new batch but I don't know if I can just dump it down the drain or in my yard or what. I have city water and sewer
Alot of people put lime on fields as fertilizer. 🤔 I'm not sure if it's the same.

Alot of people put lime on fields as fertilizer. 🤔 I'm not sure if it's the same.
Yes. One alternate name (and how I buy it) is horticultural lime. It would be a hassle to dry and repowder for that use, but possible.

As for putting it down the drain on city water, that should be a non-issue. The lime is calcium, which most of us have in our water already (hard water). It will add a trivial amount to the city water and gets massively diluted. There are far, far worse things that get thrown in there. The only precaution I take is to follow with plenty of water.

Question for any pressure canning pros. Can I throw homemade vegetable soup in cans and pressure can it? I made a medium sized batch of soup today, but I still have tons of vegetables and was thinking I could put a few pots on at once in the next few days, and save myself some freezer space if I am able to can any.
I can mixed vegetables. I was always told that it needs to be pressure canned according to the ingredient that needs to be canned the longest. Don't pack the veggies in to tightly. Leave room for your water (or tomato juice or meat broth--whatever your liquid is) around your veggies.
From my Ball Guide to Preserving book. Let me know if you need better picturesView attachment 3622611View attachment 3622612
The processing time on this surprises me. I was always told to process for the time needed for the ingredient that took the most time. I thought corn usually took longer than this. Surprise, Surprise! I learned something new. I just did some research and corn's processing time is 55 minutes for pints and 85 minutes for quarts. (Creamed corn can only safely be canned in pints...I didn't look up it's processing time.) There was a vegetable/beef soup recipe that I like and wanted to add corn to it but was told not to because of the extra time needed to can. Now I wonder if it is because much of our corn is creamed???
Thanks! If I switch some of the veggies, do you think it would make a difference?
Be sure to use the processing time required for the ingredient with the longest processing time.
You should be able to dump it either down your drain or outside. I've dumped it after using it to soak cucumbers for pickles. I like the idea below.

I can mixed vegetables. I was always told that it needs to be pressure canned according to the ingredient that needs to be canned the longest. Don't pack the veggies in to tightly. Leave room for your water (or tomato juice or meat broth--whatever your liquid is) around your veggies.

The processing time on this surprises me. I was always told to process for the time needed for the ingredient that took the most time. I thought corn usually took longer than this. Surprise, Surprise! I learned something new. I just did some research and corn's processing time is 55 minutes for pints and 85 minutes for quarts. (Creamed corn can only safely be canned in pints...I didn't look up it's processing time.) There was a vegetable/beef soup recipe that I like and wanted to add corn to it but was told not to because of the extra time needed to can. Now I wonder if it is because much of our corn is creamed???

Be sure to use the processing time required for the ingredient with the longest processing time.

You should be able to dump it either down your drain or outside. I've dumped it after using it to soak cucumbers for pickles. I like the idea below.
An hour and 25 mins processing time(in the picture I posted) is the same as 85 mins for quarts that you posted. How long did you think corn needed to be processed for?

Back
Top Bottom