Puffed out young bird, not eating, loose stools, day 7 and very weak, no respiratory symptoms.

Gallagher

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 9, 2009
Hi, I thought one of my young birds got sick and was perhaps going to die at age 4 or so. It happens at times. I have had 12-18 chickens in my yard for 16 years now. She got puffed out and stopped eating about 7 days ago. No respiratory symptoms, loose stools, and now very weak, not moving from one nest, falls over easily if I move her to fluff up her nest. The other birds were bothering her, but now they ignore here. Every morning I think she will be dead when I go to the coop, but she is still alive and now this morning I have found another young bird age three all puffed out, not eating with loose stools. Todays bird is a black Australorpe, the other is an unknown all white, brown egg layer. Any ideas?

Has either hen been laying eggs recently, and were those eggs normal? Do you feel any swelling in the lower abdomen between the legs? Is the crop empty, or does it feel large, hard, or puffy early in the mornings? Can you make sure they do not have lice or mites crawling on them under their vents? It can help to separate them in dog crates with food and water, to watch their behavior and their droppings. Offer water with electrolytes and vitamins, some wet feed, scrambled egg, canned cat food, or tuna to get them to eat. I hold a small bowl right up to their beaks. Many older hens may start to slow down and suffer from reproductive infection, internal laying, or ascites. If they appear to be suffering, sometimes it is best to consider putting them down.

Has either hen been laying eggs recently, and were those eggs normal? Do you feel any swelling in the lower abdomen between the legs? Is the crop empty, or does it feel large, hard, or puffy early in the mornings? Can you make sure they do not have lice or mites crawling on them under their vents? It can help to separate them in dog crates with food and water, to watch their behavior and their droppings. Offer water with electrolytes and vitamins, some wet feed, scrambled egg, canned cat food, or tuna to get them to eat. I hold a small bowl right up to their beaks. Many older hens may start to slow down and suffer from reproductive infection, internal laying, or ascites. If they appear to be suffering, sometimes it is best to consider putting them down.
As far as I know they were both laying up to a week before they got sick. All eggs have been normal. no swelling in lower abd between legs, as of Two days ago will check my new one today. There vents are clean of lice and mites, I use DE in the coop and nesting boxes.Yes I think I will separate today.And I will try the food and water as you suggest. Yes but these are young hens and I do feel it is best to put them down. I just wondering if they will all go one by one, and if there is a sickness. Do you think 3 or 4 years is old? I have some and though not laying one is 8 and the other 9 and a two 7 year olds. All others are 2, 3 and two 4 year olds. And Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom