Pullet with Bubbly/foamy eye!

SO I got some info from the NPIP tester from the CT Dept of Agriculture....I would say an extremely reliable source
thumbsup.gif
. So she said that MG is found in the soil... It is basically in every backyard flock. There is no true way to prevent except raising your entire flock off the ground or having a stress free flock. For example egg and chicken "factories" these chickens never set foot on the ground so these would be the only chickens that are truly MG free. If you treat the bird with antibiotics and it gets better then you can put it bk with your flock. Some birds are immune some are not...once you treat an infected bird it will then be immune and be a carrier...only if the bird is extremely stressed can it come out of dormancy and be contagious and infect other birds. She said that they dont test for it because protocol requires them to cull the bird but she said they dont do it to backyard flocks because its ALWAYS gonna show up. I found this to be great news

SOO basically its just something to be aware of....and treat any infected birds. And of course try your best to keep stress levels to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom